• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Games anyone here mod/make levels for games.

brendhanbb

if you do i am just wondering something but where do you get your ideas from. i am really curious where everyone gets their ideas when creating their own level or even game or whatever you make.

dDave

V.I.P.
I've done a fair amount of work making maps/levels in the following:

Source Engine (Mostly for CounterStrike Source)
Blizzard editors (for WCIII, SCII, and SC)

I mainly draw inspiration from movies I've seen, games I've played.

One cool thing I did in WarCraft III was create a hold the line level for three players. One player played Humans, another High Elves, and another Dwarves (both the High Elves and Dwarves were mostly custom made races, had to be recoded to be playable by a player). The players worked on a team against 9 Insane Difficulty AI and worked to hold a choke point bridge over a river. Players had unlimited resources (though actual gathering of said resources was limited).

A lot of the levels I made for Counterstrike are based off of places I've been in real life. I always enjoyed playing zombie mode in areas that I'm familiar with (that happens to be a mod as well). All of the levels I made were either office buildings or houses and most involved zombies.

brendhanbb

dude that is just awesome! i myself am trying to actually create well at the moment simple maps and learning how to make maps i mean i am using a different editor but its still hard to get inspired. even though at times i do have plenty of ideas. but then i get blocked its like i dont know what to do next or even how to continue and i just feel like idk i could use some advice on seeing how other people do it like the hearing thought process of what they do kind of thing. cuz i am still trying to figure out how to use the level editor i use too. but i did create something granted its really dull right now and i made a few mistakes u could say. but still i am learning lol.

dDave

V.I.P.
What game are you trying to make a map for? Inspiration should be drawn from different places depending on the style of the game and the way the engine works.

One thig to try might be to modify a map that already exists, that's where I started. I still do that one from time to time.

brendhanbb

What game are you trying to make a map for? Inspiration should be drawn from different places depending on the style of the game and the way the engine works.

One thig to try might be to modify a map that already exists, that's where I started. I still do that one from time to time.
honestly i am trying to make a map/level for this game called star wars jedi acdemey u would think that would be perfect to create a level with but honestly all i keep doing is drawing a blank and to be honest when i look at other maps its just way too much and confusing for me to make sense of it all since i am still trying to figure out how most of the stuff works in the game lol.