• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Anyone else have experience as an adult student going to college?

TX_Naturalist

Registered Member
First off, I'm a bit nervous. It's been roughly 18 years since I graduated high school. I didn't have the money nor the grades to go to college back then, and so it become one of those things that I'll do someday. I travelled a little bit, worked, got married, had a kid, became a stay at home mom, got divorced, back into the work force and found a decent job that allowed me to support my son and I despite his dad becoming a deadbeat. After some struggles and some blessings my life is finally stable and secure.

And so someday is finally here. A few months back after quitting a demanding, tiresome job that was killing me, just on a whim, I decided to apply to college and for federal aid. Was accepted to college and have enough aid to start taking a couple of classes.

I've gone to take the accuplacer test and today I go to mandatory (for new students) Group Advising. I'm feeling a bit daunted by it all, yet I know I'll do well. I'm old enough to appreciate the opportunity and challenges, but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed, scared and maybe even a little intimidated by all those young, fresh faces - silly I know but I can't seem to shake it.

Anyone else experience a similar situation? Any advice?

shelgarr

Registered Member
No can't say that i have. If I'm correct, you're around age 35? I do remember being in college as a young person and not even giving a second glance or second thought to the "old" people. As for the new venture and road ahead of you....the anticipation is probably a lot worse than the reality. It's all good!

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I'm a student again at 42. I'm going for nursing. The young fresh faces can be intimidating, but a classroom is one of my absolute favorite places to be. I love being in school.

It can be overwhelming, but from what I've seen from your posts, you seem to be quite intelligent. Just breathe and you'll be fine.

TX_Naturalist

Registered Member
No can't say that i have. If I'm correct, you're around age 35? I do remember being in college as a young person and not even giving a second glance or second thought to the "old" people. As for the new venture and road ahead of you....the anticipation is probably a lot worse than the reality. It's all good!
Very close... I'm 36. It's not so much that I care what they think, I've never put too much stock in what others think, it's more like I feel I'm at a disadvantage in some ways. Most are have known nothing but school and are in the "habit" of scchool if you know what I mean. While it's been sooooo long for me! And i have other responsibilities - work, family, etc. I guess I have advantages they don't have - the desire rather than what someone is expecting of me (my choice vs pressure from family or social acceptance), life experience and my hard earned money going towards it will help me succeed.

I'm a student again at 42. I'm going for nursing. The young fresh faces can be intimidating, but a classroom is one of my absolute favorite places to be. I love being in school.

It can be overwhelming, but from what I've seen from your posts, you seem to be quite intelligent. Just breathe and you'll be fine.
Thank you Jeanie! It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I think there were more "adults" than kids in the room. And I felt better when I had to help this "kid" on the computer log into his student accounts. He was looking at me with awe every time I had an answer to his questions - of which he had a lot of!!!

But it's now official - all registered, paid and classes start Tuesday! Yay, I really am looking forward to learning in a class room and just because i haven't been in school, doesn't mean I haven't been schooling myself; I feel ready and more than prepared. I feel a little giddy actually. :D

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I've got some relevant experience but it's from the young side.

Just be there to learn and don't try to "fit in". The most awkward non-traditional students (usually adults) were the ones that tried to act 20 when they weren't. College students are pretty accepting but it's obvious when you're trying too hard.

Just my two cents and good luck!

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I was just going to write some advice, and you've already gone! haha

I'm 28 and just finishing up graduate school due to health issues along the way. With social work specifically, there are a lot of adult students and they fit in and get used to the routine without a problem. I've also been in classes with only one or two "adults" that still fit in fine and are treated by the younger students as peers.

If you take any night classes, the chances of more adults being in the class will also increase.

shelgarr

Registered Member
........it's more like I feel I'm at a disadvantage in some ways...........
I don't see that being age 36 has any disadvantage. While life continues, you can be in college. That's great! And while in college you can be learning more stuff while life continues. Sounds like a win-win. WTG!

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm 28 and I've been considering going to college. It's something I really want to do. People always say you're never too old.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I'm starting a course on the 25th of this month through college and I'm 25. I'll be going to night school once a week and I can't wait!

imnotcreative

Registered Member
I am 25 and I will be starting class the 25th of May. It's been a few years since I've been in class, but I am ready to go back. Still pretty nervous though. I'm only going part time because I'm paying for it myself. If I can pass with an A in all my classes in a semester I'm going to reward myself...with tattoos and piercings :)