Anyone else getting annoyed by that ad...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hughes_collector, May 18, 2009.

1. hughes_collector

hughes_collector Registered Member

...on here with the walking elephant?

It bugs me because it's moving, so I naturally have to look at it. The other non-moving ads are easy to tune out, but that one is especially hard. (Of course I think that was the advertiser's point, but still...)

Does anyone else find moving/flashing/talking ads aggrivating?

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I don't see it but it's probably because I have VIP subscription (fewer ads).

As for the second question, yes, I'm annoyed at some ads when they flash especially when they make noises.

3. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

Moving ads don't bother me as much as ads with sound. Like the one with the grim reaper, laughing everytime my mouse passes over it. It scared the hell out of me first time then it got annoying.

Bananas and AnitaKnapp like this.
  4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Ugh yeah there are the ones from other sides (dont experience them here) but the ones from other sites that overrun your whole screen or require you to manually skip them before moving on to the page you actually wanted to see. I know ign is really bad about that. They always have those full on page ads with the little tiny link at the top that says "continue to your destination". Ugh that is so annoying.

The other annoying ones are the ones when you move your cursor over top of 'em and then they drop down a huge list that will get in the way of whatever you're trying to do. I know a long time ago here at GF there was one that used to do that. You'd scroll over it to get to the Forums button but if you happened to accidently get into that ads zone... it'd drop a box down right over top of the link you wanted. Then usually out of habit I'd click as if I were going to the forums link but then get slingshotted to whatever that ad was. :hah:

I will say this though, an Ad has to be really really really bad for me to not want to stay somewhere. I've learned that they are a necessity to internet and theres just no way around them. Even for paying members there are still ads. So eventually as long as the ads dont continue to keep in my way I can learn to just deal with their existence

5. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I haven't seen it. I don't know if it's VIP or if it's because I have firefox.

6. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

I hate those ads that like yell at you, "Congratulations! You have won a Nintendo Wii.."

7. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I don't know what ad you're talking about, but the ad at the bottom of the screen forum index that causes the page to be able to scroll left and right bothers me. That's mostly for symmetrical reasons, though.

8. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Nope, but I keep getting distracted my the ad for that vampire lesbian killer movie. Funny that the only word that distracts me is 'Lesbian', I don't even notice the other two...:shifteyes:

9. greyham_G

greyham_G Registered Member

i hate the ones with sounds, like the smiley ones that yell things....i usually just dick around with the ads that have u shoot stuff or do pull ups or something lol

10. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Firefox/VIP is your friend. I haven't seen any ads for about a year now. I will say though that when I am using IE at work I always get ads so Firefox is definitely the way to go.

Maybe you're attracted to the elephant which is why you can't take your eyes off it. Ever think of that? ;)