• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Virtual Boy Anybody Own A VB?

Favorite level in Mario 64?

• BoMb-Omb Battlefield / Whomp's Fortress... (the easy starting levels)

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Jolly Roger Bay / Dire Dire Docks... (the swimming levels)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cool, Cool, Mountain / Snowman's Land... (the ice levels)

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Lethal Lava Land / Shifting Sand Land... (the levels filled with weird lethal stuff)

• Big Boo's Haunt

• Hazy Maze Cave

• Wet-Dry World

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tall, Tall Mountain / Tiny Huge Island... (the hard hill climbing levels)

• Tick Tock Clock

• Rainbow Ride

• Total voters

SamusAran86

Registered Member
I do!

I bought it brand new for 20 bucks from KB Toys a long time ago.

While the games were red and black, the different shades, and the fact that it was really the first with 3D graphics made it really cool... Though it didnt have a long life, I still love playing Mario Tennis and Nesters Funky Bowling any chance I get.

The biggest problem with it was the fact that you couldnt really play more than 20 minutes at a time without getting a headache...

So, Did you ever own a VB? or ever want to?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I neither owned nor had the will to ever really own one, the whole concept just kinda threw me off. Maybe as a collector I'd like to have one, but that's about it.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I played it at Blockbuster or something a long time ago, I think I played Mario Tennis. I thought it was cool at the time, but never really considered getting one.

LaRazaUnida

Registered Member
I do not own one, but have playd one. I playd it one time in my life, when a cousin from Michigan came down here to Texas. I thought to myself....the commercials looked a lot cooler:mad:

Pianobone

Registered Member
My friend got one for his birthday. Multiplayer games sucked on the Virtual Boy. On a regular handheld, you just pass it off to your friend when it's their turn, but with the VB you have to unstrap the whole contraption from your head and readjust the gear. Plus, if your friends are dirty, you can get head lice from the VB.

Samus has a good point about the headaches too. I have personally experienced this.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I get a headache sitting too close to a computer monitor.. I can only imagine using a VB for long periods of time. You'd think it couldnt' be good for your vision either.

I played one once. It was all cool and high tech when it came out, but there's a reason there weren't followups. It was too "out there."

Pianobone

Registered Member
And it gave people headaches. Did we mention the headaches?

That was an interesting time for games. Sega had the Nomad which played any Genesis game, if I remember correctly and they also developed a subscription service where you could download games to your television- much like Pay-Per-View or HBO.

Nintendo tried to push the envelope with the VB and while the graphics weren't amazing, the technology to create a 3-dimensional game was way ahead of it's time.

LaRazaUnida

Registered Member
Do you think that nintendo will try to recreate the Virtual Boy? I still think about Shiggys comments on how he thought we would already be playing games that consume a whole room and then he left it as a teaser.

It is crazy....and most of all, you know its going to be crazy when people act wrong and make virtual sex games...wow.

Pianobone

Registered Member
It seems inherant in the human race that someone will always pervert something intended to be good.

Wrecked

Registered Member
i always wanted a VB but never got one.

i remember playing it all the time whenever i visited Target or something of that sort. i got to play the spacecraft game and the wario game.