Anybody need any Programming assistance?

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
I have a fair knowledge of Java, or can find it out. If you need any assistance with Java or anyother programming languages, you can post it in the appropriate language. If I don't know the answer maybe someone else will.

leopard22

Registered Member
I know this is a really dumb question, but what makes Java different from JavaScript? Is JavaScript an extension of Java, a version of Java, or an entirely different thing altogether.

Showing my ignorance here, but heck, I'm willing to admit I don't know it all. In fact, I hardly know anything :lol: , well, at least about programming.

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
Java and javascript are two completely different languages and are not even related.

Java is a computer programming programming language created by Sun Microsystem.

Javascript is a scripting language written by (I believe) Netscape.

Java is a stand alone language. Javascript is a scripting language and will only run within a browser window like Internet Explorer.

leopard22

Registered Member
Many thanks, Mr. Snipes, for the info.

I guess I just figured that since the name was so similar, they must have sprung from the same source. I imagine there were not-so-nice things said at the use of the word "java" by the one that came first. Can't help thinking that - I used to work for lawyers :-o

Spinlock

Registered Member
Java came first... Netscape decided to use "Javascript" to ride on the popularity of it. The name stuck.

P.S. I'm with Mr. Snipes on this one... I'm a programmer myself, although I'm much better at diagnosing code than coming up with it.

Yes, I am wanting to become a software programmer. I and new and I could use some help on where and how to get started.

-Thanks,
Josh

Spinlock

Registered Member
I'd start with something simple... PHP. I know, it's a web language... but it's got the easiest tutorials I've seen, and it covers basic concepts well. Check out www.tizag.com/phpT/ for a good start.

For Java... I'm working on some Java tuts. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out for good ones that already exist, and report back here anytime I find one.