Anybody need any Programming assistance?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mr_Snipes, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Mr_Snipes

Mr_Snipes Registered Member

I have a fair knowledge of Java, or can find it out. If you need any assistance with Java or anyother programming languages, you can post it in the appropriate language. If I don't know the answer maybe someone else will.

2. leopard22

leopard22 Registered Member

I know this is a really dumb question, but what makes Java different from JavaScript? Is JavaScript an extension of Java, a version of Java, or an entirely different thing altogether.

Showing my ignorance here, but heck, I'm willing to admit I don't know it all. In fact, I hardly know anything :lol: , well, at least about programming.

3. Mr_Snipes

Java and javascript are two completely different languages and are not even related.

Java is a computer programming programming language created by Sun Microsystem.

Javascript is a scripting language written by (I believe) Netscape.

Java is a stand alone language. Javascript is a scripting language and will only run within a browser window like Internet Explorer.

4. leopard22

leopard22 Registered Member

Many thanks, Mr. Snipes, for the info.

I guess I just figured that since the name was so similar, they must have sprung from the same source. I imagine there were not-so-nice things said at the use of the word "java" by the one that came first. Can't help thinking that - I used to work for lawyers :-o

5. Spinlock

Spinlock Registered Member

Java came first... Netscape decided to use "Javascript" to ride on the popularity of it. The name stuck.

P.S. I'm with Mr. Snipes on this one... I'm a programmer myself, although I'm much better at diagnosing code than coming up with it.

6. syarif3

syarif3 New Member

Yes, I am wanting to become a software programmer. I and new and I could use some help on where and how to get started.

-Thanks,
    Josh

7. Spinlock

Spinlock Registered Member

I'd start with something simple... PHP. I know, it's a web language... but it's got the easiest tutorials I've seen, and it covers basic concepts well. Check out www.tizag.com/phpT/ for a good start.

For Java... I'm working on some Java tuts. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out for good ones that already exist, and report back here anytime I find one.

8. syarif3

syarif3 New Member

Ok, thanks a lot!

-Jason

9. qwerxz

qwerxz New Member

i am new with java , Can i get a step of learning of java.. ?

which area of java will be useful for me ?

10. Mr_Snipes

I think that learning Java itself will be the most useful. If you don't know how to program Java, then the rest won't mean much.