Any tips on collages?

Discussion in 'Art & Creative' started by AnitaKnapp, Feb 24, 2010.

1. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Ok, so I work for a national retailer. My desk is a cubicle...and I am a terrible decorator. I had this idea to keep old catalogs and cut out things that I like, and make a collage from them.

Bad thing is....I'm terrible at arts and crafts unless I'm following specific instructions. Such as...I can sew pictures, but I have to be following a pattern. etc etc

So, do you have any tips for making a collage? If I were to hang it on my cubicle wall, what would you suggest I make the collage on? Like poster board? I thought of cutting out exactly the pictures that I like...but I'm guessing I need to leave some background space in some of them, and cut others closely.

btw...We sell everything from clothing to shoes, to bedding and home furnishings. I'll probably stick to clothing and shoes in my collages, or I may make different themed ones. I don't really know.

What would you suggest?

2. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

When you say 'background space' do you mean so you can see the actual backing? Or you mean in the background in the pic?

If it's the first, then I think it looks better when there's no background space at all.

If it's the second, then yeah but cover it up at least a bit, with other pics when you overlap them.

That's just how I'd do it anyway. Maybe in this kind of style:

[​IMG]

3. AnitaKnapp

Yeah, I mean keeping some of the background of the picture, so that I don't see the backing of whatever I'm making the collage on.

4. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Do you wouldn't be overlapping the pictures much/at all?

5. AnitaKnapp

I don't really know. I have no idea how to do a collage. I was thinking of leaving some of the pictures big, with the backgrounds on them, and then clipping say like...shoes and inserting them over the background part....but still having the background so that I won't have to see the backing of the material I'm making the collage on...if that makes any sense at all.

6. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Usually what i'd do is find some just background pictures that you like, that aren't the boring plain background of whatever you are sticking too, but you don't mind sticking your actual foreground pictures over, so that way you don't have to leave a heap of space around your pictures. Does that make sense?

7. AnitaKnapp

Yeah, it does. Any recommendations on what I should do it on? I was guessing poster board and glue sticks. I've never made one of these before.

8. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Just a big ass piece of cardboard and a glue stick. Do not use pva glue, it's waaaay too messy and gets everywhere. Although a friend of mine actually painted over one she did with pva to seal everything and make it shiny and it turned out okay.