• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Any other square footers?

technoflutemom

Registered Member
I planted my first square foot garden this year and was amazed at what it produced! 32 sq feet and we had more tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, carrots, zucchini and peppers than my family of 4 could use. We've kept the neighbors in tomatoes and have a freezer full of peppers.

This was my first experience with a vegetable garden on my own (used to help my parents). I'm just amazed at how little work and how much it yielded. The kids really got interested in nutrition and plants, too.

Any other veggie gardners here?

Penguin

Registered Member
yes! I love sq ft gardening! However, my garden didn't do good this year. Our yard has terrible soil! We intend to adjust it before next spring so hopefully we can get some harvest next year!

Plumley

Registered Member
I have wonderful garden space. Whoever designed our small yard managed to get a good bit of garden in a very small area. It ran wild for several years before we got here, though, so I'm having to reclaim it bit by bit and improve the soil. It's fun work that I think will pay off in the long run.

palefrost

Registered Member
Is it to late to planet pumpkins? LOL im sure i missed it. I cant grow a thing and i tried the tomatoes last year. :shake:

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well if you want the pumpkins by Halloween than it's definitely too late unless you want them to be small. :)

I'm not sure if it's frosted yet there but I know that nothing will be growing here. It's already snowed a few times. :D

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
We have a garden that is roughly thirty feet long and 10-12 feet deep. One year half of it was corn. This year we had around six tomato plants that had a fairly good yield. We also grow an assortment of hot and regular peppers. My dad wants to grow some less-than-legal plants, though.

Nanner

Registered Member
My hubby tried his hand at gardening this year (BTW what is a sq ft garden)? He planted tomatoes and green peppers in containers on our deck. Tomatoes are done for the year but the green peppers keep coming and coming. Now they spend their evenings inside the house since it's getting too cold outside at night but there are still a bunch of those little suckers on there and no signn of stopping yet.

Hmmm green pepper tonight? Sure I'll just walk over here next to the living room and pick one......

Next year he plans on trying a small one IN the actual yard to see how he likes it them make it bigger if it's something he wants to keep doing.

technoflutemom

Registered Member
My hubby tried his hand at gardening this year (BTW what is a sq ft garden)?
A square foor garden is a 4'x4' raised bed garden. Square foot gardening is a technique of rotating plants with the 16 individual 1'x1' cells to optimize yield and minimize work. I had 2 beds this year, had only about 5 weeds, and harvested vegetables all summer long. Everything is still producing well. I got more yield from my 32 feet of gardening space than my dad got from his >400 square feet plot of traditional garden.

This was my first year doing it and I was absolutely amazed. I always thought of gardening as backbreaking work because of how we did it when I was a kid. This year I maybe worked a total of an hour a week in the garden. Tops.

There's more info here;

The Official Site of Square Foot Gardening and Mel Bartholomew, Originator and Author

SouthernGal

Registered Member
I love reading about all of you that try vegetable gardening! I am thinking about trying myself.

I eat grape tomatoes like they are going out of style. Are these hard to grow?

technoflutemom... thank you SO much for posting that link!

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
They're actually very easy to grow. You can get more of those tomatoes out of a couple plants than what you'd know to do with. Go for it, they'll grow in almost any garden.