Any Linux users?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Xilmwa, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Xilmwa

Xilmwa Registered Member

If there aren't any Linux geeks on here, (and if you don't like being called a geek, just ignore that, because I like being a geek) then I have no place here.

This is because I am very passionate about OSS (open-source software) and am likely to get into a long, and utterly useless debate over it with a Windows user or the likes.

Anyway, if you do use Linux, what distro?

I actually use Mandriva, but am good with Ubuntu as well.

In the past, I have also tried OpenSuse 10.2,.3, and 11, but never did like it due to the way it handled things (e.g. YaST2 took too long, the Computer menu looked too much like KDE, the programs applet took too long to load, etc.) and Fedora Sulpher, which I didn't have much experience with due to the fact that it didn't support my graphics.

I have used Ubuntu 6.06, 7.04, 7.10, 8.04, and like 30 seconds in 8.10.
    I started Mandriva in 2008.0, and for some strange reason, I got that when I tried to download 2008.1. Now I use 2009.0 with GNOME.

KDE? What can I say. Looks too much like certain other OSes which getting away from was the point (yes, Windows! that means you!)

Although they aren't Linux, I have experimented with OpenSolaris, which I couldn't get NDISWrapper set up on, and FreeBSD 7, which I couldn't even figure out how to install.

2. acnyn

acnyn New Member

howdy there

although i am a windows fan i used to be quite envious of linux

i was seriously considering switching, for many reasons

i ended up using vmware to emulate the live cd version thing of ubuntu, but i decided not to overall

the live cd version is hard to use, and very confusing, while using an emulator at lest

sothe next chance i get to have a little fun with an unused computer i will definitely be giving ubuntu a shot

peace

-adam

3. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

The only issue I have with the Linux distros is the fact that game support isn't that great. Not exactly the fault of the OSs, but it is unfortunately the only thing stopping me from switching. However, I do have to say that if ReactOS ends up working well with all games, then I'll probably switch to that.

4. fleinn

fleinn 101010

Mm.. Sabayon 4 just came out ;)
    Sabayon Linux Four Oh!

..The irritating thing about gaming on linux, really, is that a lot of games are written in ways that just doesn't work unless they're running exclusively on a particular system. So a lot of syncing issues turn up with old games, and you need expensive workarounds just to get the game to run.. So here's hoping newer games are more likely to work well with projects like Crossover. Or, that they're actually written so it's possible to run the code on something that implements the core libraries...

5. OverLoad65

OverLoad65 Registered Member

Hi, I'm a Linux user! I use Kubuntu, but I have also used PCLinuxOS and Linux Mint to a large extent. Personally, I think Mandriva has gone down hill, and Sabayon is overwhelming; but Linux is about choice! So if they work you guys, I am so happy to see that you're enjoying Linux.

As for gaming, I have a computer with XP that I use only for gaming, and then a KVM switch to easily go back and forth on the same monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Maybe that is something you all could look into?

6. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

At this point, I think this will be one of the better options. I've been trying to avoid using a dual boot system, or have two different systems, but I guess it's unavoidable.

7. OverLoad65

OverLoad65 Registered Member

You will find that it is the only way to go, actually. When you have an XP machine that is strictly for gaming, sharing a KVM with a Linux box that is used for browsing the web, doing work, storing other files, and can never get a virus; you won't want to go back.