Antivirus help?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by hughes_collector, Jun 16, 2009.

1. hughes_collector

hughes_collector Registered Member

After doing careful research on the companies, I recently downloaded a couple of free antivirus/firewalls to my computer. I know, I know...but at the moment I simply can't afford to buy any right now. Times are tough and money is tight. Hopefully soon I will be able to buy something more secure, but for the moment free is all I can do.

But now that I've downloaded them, I can't find any evidence that they are running. I got a window showing the files were downloading and when they were done, but after that, nothing. :confused:

I even tried to find the files and open them, but they don't seem to be in the list of files on my computer. So how in the world am I supposed to tell if they are actually running? And if they aren't, what do I do to get them to run?

I'm not really terribly computer savvy...:-/

2. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

You'll actually find that a number of free firewalls and anti-virus suites are just as, or almost as good as commercial ones.

Right, re-download the .EXEs and make a note of where you're saving them to. When they've finished downloading, open them to run the setup software. Follow the on-screen instructions, and it will actually install the program to your HDD.

As it is, you're still running your OS with no third-party firewalls or anti-virus software.

3. hughes_collector

OK, but how can I know where they are being saved to? When I downloaded them before, it was all automatic. I have absolutely no idea where to find them now or where they are on my computer. Downloading them again would be the same thing.

I looked through my list of files and couldn't find any that looked like them.

4. Nevyrmoore

Okay, what web browser are you using?

There is a second solution before we fully get into that (tell me your browser anyway). If you're using Windows XP, then go to Start > Search. Click on "All files & folders", type the file name in the top box, and in the "Look in:" drop-down box, choose "Local Hard Drives". That should then do its work, searching the entire drive for anything that matches the file name.
    If you're using Vista, I have no idea how search works on that.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  5. hughes_collector

I'm using Vista Home Basic. And I'm using Firefox.

6. Nevyrmoore

Right, in Firefox, go to Tools > Options in the top bar. In the "Main" tab, you should see a section saying "Downloads" with a radio option saying "Save files to". There it'll tell you where all your files will be downloaded to, which is where you'll find your anti-virus and firewall install files.

If you want to take control of your downloads, set it to "Always ask me where to save files"

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  7. hughes_collector

OK, now this is REALLY weird. I did what you said, and the "downloads" list was totally empty! Nothing! Zero, nada...:sigh:

I did change the setting though to allow me to have a say where files get saved to, (thanks for the tip) but what happened to those downloads???

They seemed to have gone poof.
    ------
    Here's an update: I finally got them running. I found the files by accident when trying to download something else. When I clicked them on, I was able to open them and now they are working. I still don't know where they are being stored on my computer though!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  8. ATARIGUY

ATARIGUY Beermister

I use AVAST! and it automatically updates and I have no problems whatsoever.