• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

(Anticipating) Copa America 2011

Juan_Pablo

Registered Member
With the World Cup over the Copa America is only a year away. I think next year's tournament will be one of the most competitve in a while with the South American teams getting better as a whole, opposed to just Brazil and Argentina. This tournament will also feature outside countries such as North American neighbours Mexico and special guest Japan. Thoughts?

There's not much to talk about but I just want to bring up a controversial topic. Should Japan and Mexico be allowed to play in the South American chamionship?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't think they should allow teams from other confederations play in Copa America. It doesn't really make sense. If they aren't South American, then why let them play in the South American Cup? They usually don't even send their best squads either. If I remember correctly, in '07 the U.S. had most of their best players playing in the Gold Cup and didn't send them all to the Copa America. And apparently Mexico is sending their '12 Olympic squad next year.

Bjarki

Registered Member
Nope.

FIFA has become really weird with stuff like this. They added Khazakstan to Europe as well for reasons that are beyond me. Now Mexico and Japan :confused: as part of South America?

I don't see why they can't stick to geographical units. The CONMEBOL zone should consist exclusively out of South American countries and none else, same for the Copa America. Wouldn't be a bad idea though to put the Americas together as one zone.

Juan_Pablo

Registered Member
And apparently Mexico is sending their '12 Olympic squad next year.
I think those were the terms for to be met for Mexico to even be participating in that tournament. This may sound biased but I think Mexico should be allowed to take part in the tournament being (until recently) North America's only power at football. They have a history of joinging the Copa America, and then again it adds competitiveness to the tournament. CONMEBOL only has 10 squads after all.

Japan I'm not so sure they could even score a goal against a South American team unless they play against Bolivia. lol

Bjarki

Registered Member
Japan I'm not so sure they could even score a goal against a South American team unless they play against Bolivia. lol
You're underrating Japan, they have a very solid team. Last 16 in world cup and then went out of the tourney after penalties. Surely they will be a good challenge.

Juan_Pablo

Registered Member
You're underrating Japan, they have a very solid team. Last 16 in world cup and then went out of the tourney after penalties. Surely they will be a good challenge.
I was shocked at that too. They didn't deserve to be there with the team they had on paper. Then again they had a hard time finding the back of the net as well. They were shutout in 2 of their 4 games.

jack3456

Registered Member
I was shocked at that too. They didn't deserve to be there with the team they had on paper. Then again they had a hard time finding the back of the net as well. They were shutout in 2 of their 4 games.
Means nothing. I was well impressed with their play and their free kicks in their final group game. Portugal were shut out of three of their four games.

As for Mexico and Japan playing in the South American Cup, well, Israel and Russia are considered part of European football it seem, even though one is in the Middle East and the other's eastern end borders the likes of North Korea.

jack3456

Registered Member
What's your point? Portugal were eliminated in four games.
My point is: you were disparaging Japan, saying they didn't deserve to make the last 16, that they failed to score in half their 4 games so I mentioned Portugal failing to score in all but one of their four games and that as one of the pre-tournament favourites.

Last edited:

Juan_Pablo

Registered Member
My point is: you were disparaging Japan, saying they didn't deserve to make the last 16, that they failed to score in half their 4 games so I mentioned Portugal failing to score in all but one of their four games and that as one of the pre-tournament favourites.
Portugal was a pre-tournament favorite? Aren't they regarded as a promising team who fails to deliver, rendering them unimpressive, and it shows. Scoreless in 3. They've been unimpressive since the qualifiers of the 2010 World Cup began.

Last edited: