• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Anti-vaxxing spreading to pets?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The vast majority of puppies taken to the vet in the U.S. receive a suite of shots, including a vaccine against a highly contagious viral illness known as "canine distemper," which causes potentially fatal respiratory and gastrointestinal distress in dogs. Christopher Brockett, president of the New York State Veterinary Medical Society, says he has “definitely” seen pet owners deciding to skip vaccines more frequently.

Anti-Vaccine Movement Spreading to Pet Owners -- NYMag
I never thought this anti-vaccination movement would spread to pets. Some of the diseases they are vaccinated against are life threatening, not to mention its easier and less expensive to just get your pet vaccinated than to have them treated for it later. Some diseases such as rabies its illegal not to get them vaccinated. Rabies could not only kill your pet but you.

I have a feeling there are a lot of pets where I live that haven't been vaccinated even for rabies.

I always had my pets vaccinated. Didn't want them to die over something that could be prevented.

Do you have your pets vaccinated? Thoughts?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Honestly it looks like this site is just trying to make a story.

I'm betting the number of people not vaccinating their pets is not very high. However, if it is, then it's abuse and punishable in court of law, as it should be.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
That's ridiculous if it's really becoming a trend. Of course I vaccinate my pets, and I am convinced it's what helps them live as long as they do and healthy lives. It's animal cruelty to not have them vaccinated, and as you mentioned, Hilander, even dangerous to humans.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I can understand concerns related to human vaccines and their suspected long term effects on children, as well as potential links to autism. But Fluffy is a different story. I don't think I've ever seen an autistic dog or cat, and failing to have pets vaccinated with tried and true vaccines is irresponsible. The odds are much, much higher of an unvaccinated pet becoming sick or worse from disease than from the vaccines that prevent them... much, much, much higher. So it should be a no-brainer. Mind you, too few people nowadays seem to have much in the way of that particular organ.

- Cham

Rapier

V.I.P.
What does your pet's shot chart contain? Have you researched each shot before your pet receives it? Or do you take the word of the person you're giving money too?