• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Anthem health insurance hacked

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Health insurer Anthem Inc said hackers broke into a database containing personal information on about 80 million of its customers and employees, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Hackers steal tens of millions of records from health insurance firm Anthem: Report
Isn't anything sacred anymore. Your information is not safe on the internet. These insurance companies don't have the best computer systems and they had been warned they were a target. You think they would upgrade their systems. Fortunately they didn't get credit care information but they did get addresses and SS numbers.

I hope they catch the people responsible.

Thoughts?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Typical American business model of cutting as many corners as possible until the legs fall off somewhere. Honestly, this is what bothers me the absolute most:

“This attack is another reminder of the persistent threats we face, and the need for Congress to take aggressive action to remove legal barriers for sharing cyber threat information,” U.S. Rep. Michael McCaul, a Republican from Texas and chairman of the Committee on Homeland Security, said in a statement late Wednesday.
No you fucking moron, we don't need any legal barriers removed to allow you and your slack-jawed brethren and corporate sponsors access to private information. What this is, is a company too stupid and cheap to build a secure enough data system. On top of the ineffective system you've built, you don't even monitor it properly.

I really hate the recent trend this past year or two with our politicians attempting to scare Americans into turning over their privacy on the internet and big telecom happily going along for the ride.