• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Another Year Older Is A Blessing

ILuvChuzzles31

Registered Member
I couldn't decide where I wanted to post this and after debating with Health, General Discussion I chose Religion because from the day you were God has belessed you for every year you turn another year older.

I was thinking to myself about why is it that some people are so hung up on how old they are.
This is where the health part of it would have come it. There is the saying about you are old as old as you feel..
So if I were turning 70 tomorrow I don't feel like 70. Age is a mind game only and whoever started this from the beginning well shame on them.
Because believe it or not thre is nothing to be ashamed about and you should be grateful because there are so many that have never lived as long as you.

I never had a problem telling my age and in being honest until I arrived here.
I wondered why that was.. Again in all honesty I don't know.
With all that said I am proud of being 50 and will not let any mind game make me feel ashamed or embarassed by it.

I thank the Lord for every new day he gives me and pray for those that lose their life
at a very young age.
I guess mostly I am grateful because at the age of 2 mos. I was borderline on being on my deathbed. But the Lord said she has work to do for me. yet again at the age of 2 yrs old complication from 2 mos. again I was spared.

I think about all the babies that weren't as lucky as was, and all the young teens and young adults whether foolishly or not have lost their lives.
When I turn 51 in Sept if I make it then again I will say Thank You Lord for the Blessing of another year with a being with all those that I love.

Think about seriously religious or not age is just a mind game that plays too many tricks with your head. It's actually you bothered by it and no one else. So don't be ashamed jst be grateful.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I wish I had your attitude towards this, Chuzz, but I'd be lying if I said I did. I'm not a fan of growing older as I feel I've frittered most of my life away with regret, low self esteem and depression. Mentally, I've not been a healthy boy, so every year I grow older is another year I've wasted. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to turn that outlook around now, but I'm warned that the therapy will have to be an ongoing thing for that to work. The irony here is that I swing wildly from feeling like a hundred years old to feeling like I'm a ten year old in an adult's body. I need to find a comfortable middle ground there, and find some way to be at peace with that, with my past, and with whatever life still has in store for me.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I can't say I'm too happy about getting older but unfortunately the only alternative to getting old is dieing young. I don't really like that option.

ILuvChuzzles31

Registered Member
I wish I had your attitude towards this, Chuzz, but I'd be lying if I said I did. I'm not a fan of growing older as I feel I've frittered most of my life away with regret, low self esteem and depression. Mentally, I've not been a healthy boy, so every year I grow older is another year I've wasted. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to turn that outlook around now, but I'm warned that the therapy will have to be an ongoing thing for that to work. The irony here is that I swing wildly from feeling like a hundred years old to feeling like I'm a ten year old in an adult's body. I need to find a comfortable middle ground there, and find some way to be at peace with that, with my past, and with whatever life still has in store for me.
Mind you I didn't say I like getting older but I can accept it because it's a fact that I can't change.
Believe it or not before I turned 50 I didn't have no problem with it whatsoever..
But when it hit wow I was depressed drastically. Crying al the time wishit were over with no future birthdays to come.
Yet another blessing in this was that RTB helped me through it all. At times he has a way of making me young when I feel old and useless.

I don't know if you are religious or not but either way i will pray that you will be comfortable enough to overcome all things that have been plaguing you.
I know it's not easy and it will take some time. Hang in there and just take baby steps to attain your goal. There's no one to race against so don't feel or put any pressure on yourself.

From your music post I gather that you are 41 going on 42?
I'm sure you have plenty of time to turn this all around. By reading other posts I can tell you're heading in the right direction.:nod: :)

Taliesin

Registered Member
I don't know if you are religious or not but either way i will pray that you will be comfortable enough to overcome all things that have been plaguing you.
I know it's not easy and it will take some time. Hang in there and just take baby steps to attain your goal. There's no one to race against so don't feel or put any pressure on yourself.
That's very kind. Thank you.

From your music post I gather that you are 41 going on 42?
You'd be guessing right. Your math abilities are better than mine! :D

I would have to agree with Hi by the way. I do think getting to grow older is much better than dying young. I would certainly rather be here than not, and that's coming from someone who most days doesn't see the point in anything, so I guess not all hope is lost. :shifteyes:

ReasontoBelieve

Registered Member
First of of all I don't know why Anna gave me any credit about how she feels about her age. I never said anything such as you should just accept the age for who you are or anything like that . I just basically was there to listen.

For I have been bothered about this myself since I had turned forty. . When I was thirty I could not decide if I was still on the young side or getting on the older side. Now I am often thinking about being older now and not in the young category anymore. Still it is too young to die at my age still. . But I remember when I was in my twenties playing on the game sites. A majority of people were as old or older than myself by far.

Today I look and astounded now that I am older than so many members at forums or any other gathering site of members. It's not that I feel physically old in my body at this point but the fear yet of becoming older than even now. Many older people are not as accepted in this society forcing some to mostly belong to their own age group. But when your in twenties and thirties most younger and older groups can fit you in as long as you can hold a decent conversation with them.

For when I was nineteen for example I was in the midst of having both friends around my age and other friends ten year plus of older who I would run into and talk with. Now I am at a point where I feel many will think I don't belong around the age group. Remember people wondered why Micheal Jackson was around kids not around his age. Yet the way I look at it despite his age Michael Jackson was a big kid himself. I'm not going to make the accusation whether or not he was guilt of improper interaction. He's no longer alive. I just want to let that rest in peace. Because I know his personality portrayed a person the age he felt and not the age he was.

As for me I think I connect with people mostly on the basis of interests and common interests. I don't have an age category as to who my friends are to be. . But still I am not going to be running outside screaming and making a lot of noise as some of these kids do around here. I get along with kids that are pretty well behaved, a good sense of humor, and to having things to talk about. Pretty much that applies to anyone at any age a friend I have been around with. .

When I was thirty I had a friend name Taurus at forty. We both laughed at the same kind of jokes. We related with computers as he was helping me to learn some stuff I did not know before. Our thinking on the same mentality. I also had a workout partner Tim who is yet almost eighteen years older than me. We motivate one another lifting. We joked around and talked about the bible as well. . As you can see I never really been about age preference. My only concern is if and when I get older will I start physically feeling that way. As for now I feel pretty much ok. I hope I can continue at this rate.

Reactions: Sim

Sim

Registered Member
Very good way to think of it, Anna. Age is nothing that one should worry about, but rather be grateful.

I've noticed I'm getting older, too. When I was at the university the other day, two younger students would address me with "Sie" rather than "Du" (both means "you" in German, but the former is more polite and formal, nothing you'd address fellow students with -- maybe as if someone called you "sir" in English or so). Apparently they thought I was a junior teacher or so. And the younger women in the subway don't look at me like they used to (not that it matters, I'm married anyway). :p

But now I'm married and have become father of a little daughter, which is appropriate for my age. It's just a different role I have to play now. Some things are gone and won't come back, but new things will come into my life. The trick is to embrace the role I'm playing.

This topic also makes me think of a quote from the Bible:

A Time for Everything

3 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

9 What do workers gain from their toil? 10 I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race. 11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet[a] no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. 12 I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live. 13 That each of them may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all their toil—this is the gift of God.

-- Ecclesiastes 3

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
I don't know how I feel about aging anymore. I got to 21 last year and kind of thought to myself that I'd be satisfied staying there. In the end, I believe there is something beautiful about waking up and just appreciating the fact that you have woken up. Everyone has issues, but they are only as powerful as we let them be. I'm not one to celebrate my birthday though. Last year, I was excited because it was the big 2-1, but I know this year I will just go out to dinner and maybe have a few drinks.That's what we did for Jeff anyway. I asked my mom for an iron for my birthday. Now, that's silly, but it just goes to show that I'm "growing up" in her words.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I'm always curious about what's going to happen tomorrow. For the last couple years, I felt like I wasted my early twenties, because I'm already 27 and I don't have much to show for my time. After my dad passed away last month though, my mindset took a radically shift. Not sure how, but instead of thinking 'oh man, I'm already 27!', I'm of the mindset 'gee, I'm only 27'. Instead of just feeling like I need to settle into something to pass the time till the end, I've had motivation to pursue things again. I guess you could say I have a bit more direction in my life.

In the end, no matter how bad my day is, when I lay down to sleep, I'm thankful for making it to the end of another day, and that I get to try again tomorrow.

Reactions: Sim