Another Problem

Sephy

Forum Drifter
I've had problems with my apartment complex from time to time, but this one is damn crazy. Much of this place is built on hills and set up so there are a set of stairs to go down to the first story, and a walkway that goes across to the second story and from there stairs to go up to the third story. These buildings are very old but some maintenance is definitely needed. When we first moved into this building a couple months ago, the walkway wasn't a problem, but it is slowly sinking and I fear it's a matter of time before it collapses. I just hope nobody is on it or under it when this happens. Also, it would keep people from being able to enter or exit the second and third floors. We are on the third floor, so it really worries me. They obviously know there is an issue because what did they do? They put a damn road cone on the walkway and spray painted a yellow line. WHAT THE HELL?! Anyway, I took a few pictures to show you what it looks like now. And keep in mind, it wasn't like this two months ago.

It's actually breaking apart...

Vegito728

Registered Member
I don't blame you man because it sure does look like it's going to collapse. Have you asked them if they plan on fixing it?

Shwa

Gay As Fuck
V.I.P.
Dang, that a hazard zone without a doubt. Hope they can do something about that quickly before someone gets hurt, doesn't look too safe. Although, the idea of placing a trffic cone on a single area of a sidewalk is quite comical if you actually think about it.

~Shwa'

Sephy

Forum Drifter
I'm going to talk to them Monday to see what they are going to do about it. And yeah I admit the cone is kind of funny but it's one of those wtf things haha.

tipsycatlover

Registered Member
Good thing you took pictures. I don't see any date/time stamps on those photos. If your camera has the ability to do so, take more pictures with date and time stamps. The cause could be a lot of things. one of which is a sinkhole. That's where there is water leakage in the ground that is slowly washing away the soil supporting the structure. Entire buildings have collapsed because of unknown underground water leaks. Since the building is old and this kind of damage has just turned up in a short time, it might indicate an underground leak of some kind. It's not normal subsistence.

If nothing is done, call the city Dept of building and safety and tell them you suspect an underground water leak.

Sephy

Forum Drifter
Good thing you took pictures. I don't see any date/time stamps on those photos. If your camera has the ability to do so, take more pictures with date and time stamps. The cause could be a lot of things. one of which is a sinkhole. That's where there is water leakage in the ground that is slowly washing away the soil supporting the structure. Entire buildings have collapsed because of unknown underground water leaks. Since the building is old and this kind of damage has just turned up in a short time, it might indicate an underground leak of some kind. It's not normal subsistence.

If nothing is done, call the city Dept of building and safety and tell them you suspect an underground water leak.
Well the walkway at this section isn't across the ground, it begins where a hill goes down. Could be the hill eroding a little maybe? In any case thanks for the tip. I might go and at least take a couple more pictures with the time stamp on.

tipsycatlover

Registered Member
Something is making that hill erode. The building is old, the hill has not eroded until recently. That means something is causing that erosion. I was just giving you the most common reason for this kind of damage.

In the event there is some type of major collapse, the property owners/management will undoubtably say that they had no prior knowledge that this was going to occur. A few date and time stamped photos will put them right on the spot where they need to be for liability purposes.