• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Another Power Surge, Another Ruined Power Supply

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I swear I've had more power surges than anybody here. Had a few today and by the third one my power supply was bad once again.

You'd think these surge protectors I keep buying would serve a purpose in such situations. Instead I have to go out now and buy a new power supply.

Granted, I'm getting a free replacement battery backup/surge protector because of this but that's to be expected since my current one is now ruined.

:urp:

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I swear I've had more power surges than anybody here. Had a few today and by the third one my power supply was bad once again.

You'd think these surge protectors I keep buying would serve a purpose in such situations. Instead I have to go out now and buy a new power supply.

Granted, I'm getting a free replacement battery backup/surge protector because of this but that's to be expected since my current one is now ruined.

:urp:
What else do you have plugged in? A heater, AC and a fridge? You'd have to have a lot of amperage to blow a power supply.

I have two desktops and all the equipment plugged into one socket with no problem. Maybe you need more amperage to the socket?

Blueyes

Registered Member
I feel your pain...the wiring in this place sucks a** and I've blown 2 UPS's so far. Fried 3 MBs now. I'm almost to the point of getting 2 UPS's and plug one into the other and see what that does cuz I've already done a power surge to the UPS to the pc and those blew too.

dDave

V.I.P.
You really do have the worst luck with that kind of stuff you know?

I've been using a 500W Cooler Master for 3 1/2 years now and I've never had a single problem with it.

I doubt it has a warranty though.

The trick is to get a really good surge protector on top of the battery backup (which I don't have). My surge protector seems to work wonders at saving my hardware.

Eragon0605

Registered Member
Ouch. Be sure to get a PSU that will prevent the other parts in your computer from frying (fried a $2000 setup my friend had). How about plugging a surge protector into another surge protector? It may sound a little stupid, but it may just keep your PSU safe. I have a Seasonic X-750, and it seems to have some sort of built-in surge protector. I had several surges before I used a protector, and nothing ever got fried.

Arathald

Registered Member
Many surge protectors have guarantees that provide not only for replacement of the surge protector, but also for any components attached to it. If your hardware keeps getting fried through a surge protector, I would go with a brand that has this kind of protection. There's really no way a surge protector should keep failing like this.