• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Another bad power supply

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is my third power supply to go bad in three years. 100% ridiculous.

I have a spare of the exact same power supply but I'm worried it might just be an issue with this particular power supply. What good is a lifetime warranty when the stupid things die without fail after less than a year? I almost want to just buy a new one and take my spare one out out and hit it with a bat instead of using it.

Only problem is nobody around here sells them so I have to install the spare one for a few days while another comes in the mail.

So I can't really do anything for a few days again.

:rant: :teeth: :rant2:

Bananas

Endangered Species
What brand is it?

Ive always use Thermaltake and never had any problems, they are not the cheapest but I dont believe in cutting the pennies when electricity is involved.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
BFG with a lifetime warranty. I have a spare (like I said) due to me buying a new one while my last one came back on warranty RMA.

I will use the spare in the meantime but I'm going to be buying a new one from a new company too.

I was thinking Cooler Master. How long do you leave your Thermaltake on at a time and how long have you had it? How powerful is it?

Bananas

Endangered Species
I was thinking Cooler Master. How long do you leave your Thermaltake on at a time and how long have you had it? How powerful is it?
My current one is 550w, I have only had it about 6 months.

Im not sure the power of my old one(it would of been under 400w). I had that one since 2002 and it is still being used now(at the offices).

My computer is on 16 hours a day everyday, sometimes for longer and often for days on end. (I use it for rendering).

As Nibbles suggets it would be good to check your not overloading it, all those components and drives add up.

I have heard good things about Corsair psu's as well. I thought BFG only made gfx cards, you learn something new.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well I just installed my spare BFG power supply. It's an 800w (or 850w, not positive). It's definitely not being overloaded. Seems like these things go down every year around February like clockwork.

Look at the related threads at the bottom of this page. You'll see my last two were around the same time. :lol:

Anyway, it has a lifetime warranty and I have two of them. I don't mind swapping them out once a year and sending the bad one in for replacement once a year if it means not having to spend a few hundred on a new one. I'd like for them to get their act together though.

I have a CPU monitoring hardware device that shows me how many hours my CPU has been running. I've taken note of what it's at right now and if the new power supply fails I'll at least know how many hours it's been running.

Last edited:

Maarten

Even the very best power supplies can't handle fluctuating power too well. The wiring in my house is awfull, and until I started using the power-saving lightbulbs, I was losing a lightbulb at least once a month somewhere in the house. I am renting, and it is too costly for the landlord to change all the wiring.

I had 2 power supplies fail on my until I got smart: I ran an extension cord to the nearest GROUNDED plug, bought a good quality surge protector (which are pretty much useless if you don't GROUND them), and for now its been two years.

Could be a coincidence of course, but grounded connections are always recommended with computers.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Interesting Maarten. Only thing is that I'm running this thing through not one, but TWO surge protectors. It's plugged directly into a battery backup surge protector combo, and that is plugged into a normal surge protector, which in turn is plugged into the wall. It's an outside wall so it would seem that it's probably grounded, but I don't know enough about wiring to be sure. How can I find out?