• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Anonymous hacker turned FBI mole.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
"Anonymous" is one of the biggest online vigilante groups. Its members hack into companies and governments computer systems, and they prefer a life in the shadows, wearing masks in protests.

Anonymous hacker Hector Monsegur turned FBI informant breaks silence - CBS News
This good ole boy hacker admits he stole credit card numbers and sold them to pay his own bills. Real great bunch of people with only our best interest at heart, yea right. They could hack your water dept, electric grid, sure your water is safe to drink. These guys aren't our saviors or friends as some would like us to believe.

Thoughts?

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Annonymous = A gang of thieves and provocateurs. Thieves like to wear masks.
But at least they can be infiltrated by the FBI so they cant do as much damage. They need to catch more of their members.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Being a credit card / utility system hacker and calling yourself a member of Anonymous is like stealing hubcaps and calling yourself a member of the Black community. It may be a true statement, but not because of the way you chose to make money. There are corrupt cops out there, some may have decided to go legit, but I suppose I should believe that all cops are on the take. I'm not saying all Anon members aren't criminal, of course they are. I'm just saying that not every hacker that calls himself a member embodies the founding principles of the group.

If I had the necessary hacking skillz and decided to join the group, I wouldn't be hacking credit card information, I'd be hacking ISIS bank accounts to stop money from flowing to where they can use it to buy weapons and attempting to cripple foreign cyber-espionage groups like the guys who recently hacked Sony. Yeah, I might be tempted to pull a bit of a Robin Hood along the way because I'm poor, but diverting drug money from a Mexican cartel so it doesn't end up on the streets as product or weapons but rather in my pocket for Dr. Pepper or rent money is not something I would lose any sleep over. That's the type of Anonymous member I would be if I had the mad hacking skillz to do stuff like that. Alas, I've hacked a few video games so I could have infinite in-game money, so I'm not really Anon material. Principally Anonymous is defined by the fight against governmental corruption and oppression of freedom, not complicity in it. Hacking credit cards of ordinary hard working people is in stark contrast to these principles. Principally cops are defined by their role to serve and protect, not by how many innocent civilians they kill. Yet, each year innocent civilians do die at the hands of police. If everyone played their chosen role without deviation, the world would be a much simpler place, but because not everyone does, it doesn't mean we should start stereotyping. (That's my gig! :p).

- Cham

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
You can't compare anonymous to cops. Anonymous is criminal just by being a part of that group and what they do. Cops aren't criminals just because they put on a badge. Yes some cops cross the line and become criminals which they should be arrested for.

This is only one anonymous member but many more do the same thing. Do all of them steal credit cards and sell them on the black market, probably not but they are all hackers. Not all KKK have killed a black person either but they all hate black people.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
You can't compare anonymous to cops. Anonymous is criminal just by being a part of that group and what they do. Cops aren't criminals just because they put on a badge. Yes some cops cross the line and become criminals which they should be arrested for.

This is only one anonymous member but many more do the same thing. Do all of them steal credit cards and sell them on the black market, probably not but they are all hackers. Not all KKK have killed a black person either but they all hate black people.
All Anonymous are hackers, but not all hackers are Anonymous. Even those who are don't necessarily hold true to the ideals set forth in their mission statement. Just as law enforcers are defined by their role, and not all necessarily uphold that role, the same is true for specific groups of law breakers. Like I said below, there is no question of the criminality of Anonymous. Their role is inherently criminal. That's not the point. The point is, does this make it fair to stereotype them? Are all criminals created equal? Vigilante groups are supposed to be trying to impose justice when the systems in place to do so fail. There is no justice is stealing ordinary people's hard earned money. Anonymous, in principle, is representing the people, so if some members are stealing from the people then they are not representing the people any more than elected politicians who are stealing from the people. I think Anonymous should turn on those members who behave in this way in much the same way that cops should arrest rather than vouch for those in the force who are on the take.

Both law enforcement agencies and vigilante groups with specific mandates have something in common. They are both systems created to serve a purpose. Legality aside, can we judge all members of such a system based on actions of some that contrast with the purpose of the system?

- Cham