• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Animation Tidbits

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
This thread will be mostly for Eph and I to talk about animation, since we have both studied it in the past and have a huge interest in it, but I'm hoping other people will join in too.

I'm starting with this incredible ad I found online a few days ago. While the ad itself is great, it's the making of that blew me away! You would NEVER guess how much work went into the behind the scenes of this. I've never seen animation done this way before.

Here's the ad.

John Lewis Christmas Advert 2013 - The Bear & The Hare - YouTube

And here is the making of, this is a MUST watch making of. (only 2 minutes 20 seconds)

John Lewis 'The Bear & The Hare' - The Making Of on Vimeo

Taliesin

Registered Member
My God. That is just incredible!

I love the classic Disney feel that they've achieved with the characters and their animations, and the backgrounds are exquisitely crafted! This may have been put together to advertise something, but I think this is so beautifully done that it transcends any commercial considerations.

I never would have guessed that the characters themselves would have been carefully produced and compiled cutouts. That is the part that surprises and delights me the most. There are a few styles of animation utilised here, from the traditional hand drawn variety to the cutout and then with the stop motion. Simply incredible!

Fantastic find, Cru. I'm in awe.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Well some of those animators were Disney animators, so it's no wonder it has that Disney feel to it.

Yeah it's the fact that they cut them out with that laser thing that blows my mind too. It looks like they were just drawn in. It's probably the best combination of stop-motion and 2D animation I've ever seen.

dDave

V.I.P.
So... they actually made the whole set on a mini scale? That's really awesome, I had no idea that was how those were made. It explains why the world looks so good, it's not animated, it's real :).

I'm not an animator but I can definitely appreciate the process that goes into creating something like this.

I too thought it felt a lot like a disney movie.

Taliesin

Registered Member
This is sublime. The sheer strangeness and imagination on display here is exhilarating! I wish we could see more animations like this made! Where did you find it?

Taliesin

Registered Member
Tell him from me that he's a freaking genius. Seriously.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Yeah he's pretty good. He's different to most of us. Most people doing my course have never really done anything in animation when they first start up. But he'd already been making animation and even winning awards online for years before he started.

Hey Eph did you happen to see that trailer above that I posted? For the Boxtrolls.