Movies Animated Movies, New Vs. Old?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Think Aladdin, The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, etc. There are your "old" animated movies.

Then look at the new ones. Generally they are 3D animated and include movies like Shrek, A Bug's Life, Toy Story, Ice Age, etc.

Do you think something is missing from the new age of animated movies?

I used to really get into the older ones, especially the Disney animated movies. They were generally extremely well done. Their new movies (and other companies new movies) just seem to be missing something. Maybe it's the fact that they are trying too hard to be kids movies.

I mean look at The Lion King. Then look at Shrek. Shrek was pitched as a comedy, while The Lion King really felt like something bigger.

What type of animated movies do you like better, and why? What do you think the main difference is between the new stuff and the stuff a bunch of us grew up to?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I prefer the older ones. Like you said, it seems like the newer ones are more for younger kids and they try really hard to be funny. I think the older ones did a much better job developing the characters and making the viewer connect with them. Also, the writing was just better. The storylines were more compelling.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I think the newer ones do plenty of "big" things the older ones did. Movies like Finding Nemo and Monsters, Inc. touch on deeper ideas and concepts than a lot of movies do, animated or not. The old animated movies were awesome too, but the new ones are not worse than they are.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
its pretty evident that movies like Shrek intend to target not just the kids; there are jokes in there that are way over (or should be over) the kids heads. Those are cool and all as family movies and in my opinion fit the PG rating perfectly. But the oldschool Disney classics will always be the best IMO. They hard a specific target audience and they cater to the kids throughout the whole thing.

Barbara

Ess Tii Eph Yu
V.I.P.
While the new movies seem to be targeted more towards kids there are still underlying themes and ideas that adults can get into. Some of the others, such as Finding Nemo, Shrek, and Monster's Inc have already been mentioned but let's not forget about The Incredibles. People suing over superheroes saving them? To kids it's a mildly funny joke but to adults it is a brilliant reflection of the society in which we live in.

The oldies were purely for young children. 3D is now aimed at both children and adults, with more mature jokes that the kiddies don't get.

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I prefer the newer animated movies. I just find them alot more entertaining than the old ones, and they appeal to a wider audience. So if there is a wide age range watching the movie, there's more chance of it being enjoyable for all.

Barbara

Ess Tii Eph Yu
V.I.P.
The oldies were purely for young children. 3D is now aimed at both children and adults, with more mature jokes that the kiddies don't get.
I suggest you re-watch Aladdin and the Lion King and see how many innuendos there are in that movie. Most of these movies are targeted towards children. That, however; is different than being purely for young children.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Think Aladdin, The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, etc. There are your "old" animated movies.

Then look at the new ones. Generally they are 3D animated and include movies like Shrek, A Bug's Life, Toy Story, Ice Age, etc.
Haha. I thought you meant old like Snow White, Mickey Mouse, Bambi. The ones you mentioned as "old" are already modern to me. In which case I would say I prefer the new ones.

However if it's a choice between Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Best, etc. over Shrek, Toy Story, etc. I prefer the former.

I like the stories better. Most of them were based on timeless tales. And they still have the cartoons feel. I also like the music/songs. :hah: The recent ones are impressive when you consider how animation has evolved to make the characters and circumstances look more real. It feels less magical though, I don't know why.

Do you think something is missing from the new age of animated movies?

I used to really get into the older ones, especially the Disney animated movies. They were generally extremely well done. Their new movies (and other companies new movies) just seem to be missing something. Maybe it's the fact that they are trying too hard to be kids movies.
I get that feeling sometimes. It's like the main part about it that you can attribute to being "for kids" is that it's animated. It's liking picking a non animated movie, turn it into cartoons and say "hey, a real movie for kids!" :lol:

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
It's hard to be objective about this because you'd have to take nostalgia out of the equation. It seems to be the curse of our species to favour how things were done in "my day". I mean Toy Story probably has just as much heart as the little mermaid etc. For me nothing would top Aladdin but if Monsters Inc had been released the same time as Aladdin when I was a kid then I probably would have liked Monsters Inc more.