• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Animal/Human Cruelty

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Consider those that are cruel to animals, and those that are cruel to humans. And consider your stance on the matter from each pole.

For instance in this example:
Someone punching somebody in the face
and
Somebody punching a cat in the face

Which person would you hate/dislike the most?

--And please discuss the boundaries of this topic, in regards to other examples that this is akin to. Generally asserting your stance on whether you are more horrified by acts of cruelty to animals than humans, or vice versa -

And whether certain elements of this depend on the circumstances - E.G. Someone beating a rat with a stick being less 'offensive' than someone kicking a kid or an old lady or something, perhaps.

Generally discuss. I dare say you get the gist. Sorta.

Last edited:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I would hate the person who punched the cat more. Animals don't have a form of speech in the way we do, they cannot speak to us so we know it would have been an unwarranted attack, I highly doubt a cat would have done anything to deserve being punched in the face. Two humans on the other hand can get on each others nerves, they could have been having an argument beforehand.
I find that animal cruelty is VERY rarely justified, in fact basically never justified.

Dekzper

Registered Member
I dont think violence is ever needed unless someone is attacked. And I def mean by a person/animal that's big enough to be a threat. But yeah, attacks against animals and kidz would def set me off the most! Nobody should ever attack anything that cant really defend itself! I mean, I've had to fight but it's always been guyz about the same age as me. So it def wouldn't set me off if some guyz (or girls) were fighting. Well, if it's a fair fight. But I still think fighting is stoopid cause it usually doesn't really change anything.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I'd hate the person that punched the animal more because the animal can't stand up for itself and fight back. It would be pretty traumatised as well. A human would be able to get over a smack to the FACE but for a cat it would be hard for it to ever approach another human again. And you could do some significant damage to the poor thing.

Falconer

Registered Member
I would definitely hate on the animal abuser more, because as others have said, the animal can't defend itself as humans can. There's also the angle that a human might have had the option to defuse an argument before it turned to violence, whereas an animal's 'provocation' was probably nothing more than trying to get attention or doing something else entirely natural.

I don't think there's ever an excuse for hitting something defenceless -- animals, kids, those weaker than yourself. I'll admit I'm no pacifist but I have clear lines and hurting the defenceless or innocent goes way over.

ATARIGUY

Beermister
I dislike both people the same and both need shot in the head and be done with them.

I can't even watch videos of animal or human cruelty as they make me angry then sick to my stomach.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I dislike both people the same and both need shot in the head and be done with them.

I can't even watch videos of animal or human cruelty as they make me angry then sick to my stomach.
I hate them both also and while it's difficult to choose, I'd have to say the animal cruelty is worse only because the animal is more likely to be able to defend itself.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Consider those that are cruel to animals, and those that are cruel to humans. And consider your stance on the matter from each pole.

For instance in this example:
Someone punching somebody in the face
and
Somebody punching a cat in the face

Which person would you hate/dislike the most?

--And please discuss the boundaries of this topic, in regards to other examples that this is akin to. Generally asserting your stance on whether you are more horrified by acts of cruelty to animals than humans, or vice versa -

And whether certain elements of this depend on the circumstances - E.G. Someone beating a rat with a stick being less 'offensive' than someone kicking a kid or an old lady or something, perhaps.

Generally discuss. I dare say you get the gist. Sorta.
I hate them both also and while it's difficult to choose, I'd have to say the animal cruelty is worse only because the animal is more likely to be able to defend itself.
Hmm, punching an animal or a person for the sake of doing it is both idiotic.

I think the which is worse part depends on the situation. For example aggression towards a person or an animal that is not called for, then I won't like it (no preference there between humans and animals). If you're defending yourself and happen to hit the person/animal then I don't find it bad. Attack on someone you know who cannot fight back or where you're obviously physically at an advantage, I find that cruel too. Perhaps that's why there's more focus on protecting animals/humans from animal cruelty or child cruelty. However if the case is killing an animal so we can eat it, I don't find it cruel (at least for the meats I eat). Hypocritical maybe because if someone killed a person to eat them, I'd freak out...but it's my honest answer.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I would say in most instances the punch to the animal would bother me most. I can't see a situation in which a cat would provoke the attack, whereas I could understand another person provoking an attack.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Punching an animal (most animals) is like punching a little kid because they just aren't as smart as us. Little kids act emotionally and instinctively. Not getting through to a child and not getting through to an animal is almost the same thing. They just don't understand us. They can't think like us.

Thing is, kids will grow up and learn, while animals don't have the capability to do so like people. So I'd have to say harming an animal is worse. It's bad enough picking on someone smaller than you, but someone that's not as intelligent too?