Angels Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
This isn't a "do you believe in religion or not" thread. I don't really want to debate that, by posting in this thread I'll be assuming you are a believer in some way shape form or fashion. I mean you are in the Religion section :D

Inspired by a Country song from the Group "Alabama" I got to thinking about all of the acquaintances I've had throughout my life and how although most have been nothing out of the ordinary. I have met few people who seem to have come out of the blue and seemed absolute genuine. Now the lyrics / message of the song are simple:

"Oh, I believe there are Angels Among us,
sent down to us, from somewhere up above.

They come to you and me, in our darkest hours.
To show us how to live, to teach us how to give.

To guide us with the light of love."
Now I got to thinking about that little verse in contrast with those out of the blue acquaintances I've made and how they have helped point me in the right direction when I've felt lost on my own, then up and disappeared (not literally... we just never contacted again).

now the next verse to the song puts another spin on this that actually builds another side for the concept of "Angel".

"When life held trouble times, and had me down on my knees,
there's always been someone to come along and comfort me
a kind word from a stranger to lend a helping hand
a phone call from a friend just to say I understand.

But aint it kind a funny, at the dark end of the road,
that someone lights the way with just a single ray of Hope"

Now I feel this verse is also important because I feel it may tie in to those who don't necessarily feel we literally have Angels Among us. That the real magic is just worked by friends and family, even strangers.

So do you feel there are Angels Among us? Or are these instances just Genuine acts of Life, Love, and Light from other People?

Its funny you make this thread, since I recieved a text from my friend this morning >>

"Omg Bex, I was just reading old myspace messages and found one from a few years ago where you told me you'd spoken to an angel or something. Wtf, explain"

:lol:

I won't bother with that since I was probably just being young and naive haha, and have no real explaination.

So do you feel there are Angels Among us? Or are these instances just Genuine acts of Life, Love, and Light from other People?
I don't think so personally, I mean I'd like to believe it was the latter actually. Faith in humanity and all that :hah: But anything is possible..

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I believe I have knowingly met and spoken to an angel one time and probably had contact with angels many times. The belief that angels are among us is simple for me. The Bible says that is the case, so I know its true.

kcdad

Registered Member
I believe I have knowingly met and spoken to an angel one time and probably had contact with angels many times. The belief that angels are among us is simple for me. The Bible says that is the case, so I know its true.

PUH-LEESE. The Bible says they have 6 wings and 2 faces... you talked to one of them?

Angel means messenger. Yes there are angels among us. We are each other's angels. If you deliver the message... love, justice, mercy, humility, peace... you are an angel.

There are no "spiritual" creatures... no ghosts, no devils, no cherubim and seraphim.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
PUH-LEESE. The Bible says they have 6 wings and 2 faces... you talked to one of them?

Angel means messenger. Yes there are angels among us. We are each other's angels. If you deliver the message... love, justice, mercy, humility, peace... you are an angel.

There are no "spiritual" creatures... no ghosts, no devils, no cherubim and seraphim.
Dude, grow up. Why are you being so harsh on the guy? So what, he doesn't believe what you believe. For someone who is a teacher, it's really disturbing how willing you are to disrespect others' beliefs.

I don't believe in angels either, I believe like you that there are people out there who are genuinely good people that are willing to help but we may, strangely enough, never see them again.

kcdad

Registered Member
Dude, grow up. Why are you being so harsh on the guy? So what, he doesn't believe what you believe. For someone who is a teacher, it's really disturbing how willing you are to disrespect others' beliefs.

I don't believe in angels either, I believe like you that there are people out there who are genuinely good people that are willing to help but we may, strangely enough, never see them again.
This is NOT a classroom, but instead a place where people express irrational points of view and get away with it.

People are people... not spiritual beings that appear and disappear.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
This is NOT a classroom, but instead a place where people express irrational points of view and get away with it.

Where's your evidence?

See this is why fanatics whether they're atheists or theists are painful to talk to and reason with because both sides are solidly convinced they're right. Chill out already and quit with this speaking in absolutes. You don't know what you just stated is fact, it's your opinion and a best guess, nothing else.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Philosophically speaking that is correct but incorrect. You only know what you see because you haven't the intelligence to know what you haven't seen. If you've experienced something chances are highly likely, in fact they are guaranteed that you would chalk them up to being according to something you know or are familiar with.

Its the simple philosophical question of, if you see a chair in a room, why do you know you can sit on it and it will hold your weight? Will all chairs do that? Are all chairs really chairs? Why?

One could say no, not all chairs will hold your weight, you can sit on a chair in the middle of the room and have it completely crumble beneath you because of things you didn't see beneath its surface or for reasons you couldn't quite fathom.

So really, how can you honestly know that every single person you see is in fact a person? You cant, you can easily assume they are through your prior knowledge. But again as the sample of a bushel of apples works, if you take a bite from a single apple from a barrel of apples and the sample is not ripe, you automatically assume through presumption and past experience that the whole barrel is full of unripe apples. Chances may be slim but if you were to dump that barrel out, its not impossible to find an orange amongst the mix.

This is NOT a classroom,
then stop trying to correct people.

but instead a place where people express irrational points of view and get away with it.
maybe you missed this part. I recommend reading it again and deciding very carefully how your next response is laid out.

This isn't a "do you believe in religion or not" thread. I don't really want to debate that, by posting in this thread I'll be assuming you are a believer in some way shape form or fashion. I mean you are in the Religion section :D

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.

You claim people make irrational points of view and get away with it yet you're guilty of the same thing. I can't prove or disprove MIT has ever had an encounter with an angel and neither can you. Speaking as if you can makes your statements ridiculous.

Hiei

The Hierophant
I don't believe that there are angels walking around with us. But I do believe that there are genuinely good people that are willing to be the hero of the day and take absolutely no credit for it. Those particular people could be considered angels, but if you're talking about the celestial beings, I don't believe that they are here.

But one thing that I've thought was curious for quite some time is how little people know about angels. Biblically speaking, they don't have wings or halo's. They look just like everyone else, except that they're extraterrestrial beings with divine knowledge and power. It wasn't until, I think, around the renaissance time when artists started putting wings on angels to make them look more "heavenly."

Status
Not open for further replies.