Andrew- please explain this

Discussion in 'Technology' started by MenInTights, Oct 23, 2007.

1. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

remember when the poker room would not show on some people's browsers? i think I am having a similar problem with my website. I look at it from home and it looks completely different than at work. menus are gone and stuff just doesn't work. At work, it looks fine. It is slowly coming back - today the menu bar across the top came back in IE, still not in Firefox though. its driving me freaking crazy!!

Any thoughts? It is based on joomla CMS with virtuemart installed as the store front. thanks

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Are you using standard system fonts on the site or custom fonts? I noticed on a wordpress site I made recently for somebody that their font choice was causing parts of the site not to show up. I had them change the font to Arial and everything was fine again.

3. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

If you're using a custom font, I recommend the tutorial at Spoono - Yeah, We Got That on embedded fonts. It allows you to use any font you want, and it is loaded with the site. I don't know how it effects bandwidth, but It's worth a look for anyone having a problem with users and the correct font. The tutorial is either under HTML or PHP in the "Programming" part of their menu.

4. Mirage

Isn't that link for embedding fonts in flash? I know how to do that already but didn't know you could embed fonts into a webpage as normal text?

5. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

This method converts a common True Type Font to the Embedded Open Type format (.eot files) which allows fonts to be downloaded and only used on specific web domains.

6. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

sorry I haven't responded. I found the problem. It was my cheap ass computer! Enjoyed the fonts discussion, though - interesting.

7. Mirage

Cool. Glad you fixed it. And yeah this kind of went a tad off track but oh well. I learned something new about fonts now. ;)