andrea bargnani?

Discussion in 'NBA' started by Veloci-T, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Veloci-T

Veloci-T Registered Member

was anyone disappointed wen toronto chose bargnani as #1 pick? so far out of all the games ive seen him played, he doesnt look very good to me, no offense to him but since hes #1 draft pick, he can do WAAAAY beter then he is now, i dunno what u guys think but this is wut I think

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

You seem not to watch a lot of Andre Bargnani this year. He's been playing really well and he's a top candidate for rookie of the year. Even though he only averages 10.3 points per game this year he's going to be a tremendous scorer in is career. I see a lot of Dirk Nowitsky in him , and I beleive in 2-3 years Andre Bargnani will be one of the best players in the NBA.

3. Il Mago isn't going to win ROY unless he starts stepping it up. However, I think he is doing a good job for 1st overall.

4. patkick

patkick #21

He's doing great. At least at the times that I watched him play. The main reason why he was picked nr.1 overall is because of Nowitzki. Just look at him and his skillset and you'll see that he'll be the next Nowitzki.

5. Babe_Ruth

Definitly. There's no many similarities in their games that it's har not to compare them to each other. But the scary thing about it is that Andrea Bargnani is doing way better then Dirk Nowitsky was doing during is rookie season. So hopefully in 5 years from now Andrea will be at the same level that Dirk is right now.

6. True, just everyone was expecting more of Il Mago because he was #1 overall. Dirk was drafted 9th, so no one expected too much of him in his rookie season.

7. Black Sheep1

Black Sheep1 Guest

No doubt in my mind that he will be a star. You can just tell when you watch him play... he has REAL talent

8. Babe_Ruth

There was never any pressure on Bargnani, which is great, they already had talented players like Bosh and Peterson so they didn't need to give him minutes right away, they slowly brought him into the system which is great. He's also better at this stage then Nowitzki was so it's a big plus.

9. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Guest

ok that's just plain silly.

take a look at recent #1 picks

2006 TOR Andrea Bargnani
    2005 MIL Andrew Bogut
    2004 ORL Dwight Howard
    2003 CLE LeBron James
    2002 HOU Yao Ming
    2001 WAS Kwame Brown
    2000 NJN Kenyon Martin
    1999 CHI Elton Brand
    1998 LAC Michael Olowokandi

Bogut didn't have a huge impact, despite several years of college ball.
    Dwight Howard was like every other under 20 player save Lebron and struggled.
    Lebron is a once in a lifetime player so ignore him as an anomally.
    Yao Ming had good stats of 13 and 9 but was also 22 years old and therefore more expericened.
    Kwame.. BUST
    Kenyon had several years of college ball yet average only 9 and a very respectable 10 rpg
    Elton Brand 3 years of college and came out ready to play
    Olowokandi semi-bust

so of the last 8 picks before Bargnani, you have 3 players who clearly had better rookie years.
    It's not the results you look for in the rookie year, it's the signs of what is to come once they learn a bit more.
    Bargnani is at the worst going to be a better version of Pau Gasol and has the potential to rival Dirk if he is strong in the mental aspect of the game and has the drive to improve.
    He's shown a willingness to drive to the basket. A willingness to pop a 3 pointer during the 4 quarter.
    He needs to rebound and defend better, but that's most rookies.
    you can't talk about a draft until 3 years later IMO. Some players need time to adjust, others never play any better than their rookie year and some just don't get drafted by the right team.

10. Babe_Ruth

I couldn't say it better myself Celtic Fan, especially that he's coming from Europe, it will take a little time to adjust to NBA. Every game you see improve which is very promising. He has a lot to learn, but he's having a way better rookie year then Dirk did in his first full NBA season, and look at him now. I am not saying that he's the next Dirk, but it's very promosing.

At first he was just settling for three pointers, but now he's driving a little more, which is leaving his opponents guessing. They don't know if he's going to settle for the jumpshot or drive the net.

Also he has one of the sweetest strokes in the NBA. But like Celtic mentioned he needs to become better rebounder. Because he usually gets outrebounded, but so does every other Raptor player.

All in All, he's not a bust, and I am very happy that the Raptors selected him, Roy was more NBA ready, but Bargnani will have a better career.