• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

And people said this wouldn't happen

dDave

V.I.P.
From what I've heard there are heaps of places who are doing non-religious weddings for gay couples, and some Christian churches who also do them, so I really have no idea why they are insisting on using one that doesn't. I personally wouldn't want my wedding to have anything to do with religion, particularly Christianity.
You're not a Christian, so there really is no reason for you to want to get married in a Christian church.

Yes, I agree with you.

IMO, it's a civil right for homosexuals to get legally married, but a matter of freedom of religion that any church or religious community can refuse to marry everybody who doesn't meet their criteria.

They should either choose a church that is willing to wed them, or stick to a merely legal marriage without church ceremony.
I actually believe that homosexuality is wrong, if society is going to legalize it though, I can't stop them. I still hold the right to believe that it's wrong.

Definitely agreed on the freedom of religion argument. No church should be forced to marry a gay couple, it's within their rights to decline anyone for any reason. It's not a matter of discrimination, it's a matter of the way churches believe. If you believe that homosexuality is wrong then how can you possibly bless a homosexual marriage under God himself?

Sim

Registered Member
I actually believe that homosexuality is wrong, if society is going to legalize it though, I can't stop them. I still hold the right to believe that it's wrong.

Definitely agreed on the freedom of religion argument. No church should be forced to marry a gay couple, it's within their rights to decline anyone for any reason. It's not a matter of discrimination, it's a matter of the way churches believe. If you believe that homosexuality is wrong then how can you possibly bless a homosexual marriage under God himself?
My religion says homosexual acts (not feelings) are wrong, which is one of the rules I don't understand. But I respect it ... which is easy for me, as I have no desire to engage in homosexual acts anyway.

That said, I don't think I should force our morals on people who are not sharing my religious views, as I don't want them to force their ideas on me either, and I don't want them to tell me how to live my religion. So I just return the favor, so to speak. :lol:

It's simply necessary in an open and pluralistic society that people with very different religious and ideological views get along with each other, and that only works when no side attempts to force their morals on the others. And I feel that as a believer, my own soul and relation to God should be my first priority... I'm busy enough with that task already, no need to meddle into other peoples' relation to God. I leave that a matter between them and God.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
You're not a Christian, so there really is no reason for you to want to get married in a Christian church.
That's true for me. But there are some homosexuals out there who are Christian and probably do want to get married in a Christian Church. In this case I think they should just go to a church that does do these weddings, instead of trying to force one that doesn't want to.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I too believe telling churches who they can marry is quickly coming. According to the NM SC, photographers cannot refuse to take pictures of gay weddings: NM Supreme Court Finds Refusing to Photograph Gay Wedding Illegal | National Review Online

Hitching their cause to the real struggles people went through during the civil rights movements was the smartest thing the homosexual movement ever did. Its obvious to me that its not a civil rights issue, but enough people think it is and that argument will win.

danwiz

Registered Member
Damn, how ridiculous. Just go find a gay friendly church, a gay friendly photographer, etc. It's (in my humble opinion) not right to FORCE a church to marry a gay couple if that church has a thing against gays. Likewise it's not right to make a homophobic photographer take photos at a gay wedding. If a photographer is a gay hater do people really believe that person will try his/her best to get good wedding photographs?

There is no good reason to sue anybody over such things! No reason to hassle a photographer if he/she says "I'm not really interested in taking photos of your gay wedding".