• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

And people said this wouldn't happen

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
‘I am still not getting what I want’: Gay couple suing church for refusing ‘wedding’ | LifeSiteNews.com

I don't have a problem with the law and I applaud Marriage Act of 2013 and Great Britain recognizing gay marriage, good for them. I do have a problem with trying to force a Christian church to recognize and perform the ceremony.

Drewitt-Barlow said, “The only way forward for us now is to make a challenge in the courts against the church. It is a shame that we are forced to take Christians into a court to get them to recognize us.”

“But we don't want to force anyone into marrying us – it is supposed to be the happiest day in my life and that would make me miserable and would spoil the whole thing,” he said. “Aren’t Christians meant to forgive and accept and love?”
Actually yes you are trying to force the Church into marrying you. If that's what the church teaches, and you disagree with it, leave the church and don't practice it. It's that simple.

Thoughts?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I do have a problem with trying to force a Christian church to recognize and perform the ceremony.
I also have several issues with the idea of attempting to force a Christian church to perform the marriage.

My first issue is that no level of government has the authority to force any religious denomination to marry any couples, homosexuals included. It is their right with the separation of Church and state.

My second issue is that the gay couple can get married in other places or seek out a Christian church that is willing to marry gay couples.

Most Christian churches that I know of do not openly support gay marriage. It shouldn't be a shock to the couple that the church is refusing to marry them.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
They may have the right to get married, which is fine with me but they don't have the right to make a church perform the ceremony or support same sex marriage. Hire a justice of the peace or find a church that is willing. If they want a big wedding nothing is stopping them but themselves now.

According to their law unwilling churches can't be forced to participate.

From the OP's article.

Section 9 of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013, which comes into effect next year, grants anyone in a civil partnership the ability to convert that partnership into a “marriage.” But the law contains measures specifically to preclude unwilling churches from being forced to participate.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
According to their law unwilling churches can't be forced to participate.
You're right, but what I imagine them doing (and I say imagine because I don't know the particulars and I don't know English law well) is challenging that section as violating some law. In other words the argument in the US would probably a violation of the Equal Protection Clause,ignoring the fact the EP clause of the 5th and 14th Amendments apply to the federal and state governments ONLY and not a church.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I think this is so dumb. They worked so hard to achieve what they wanted, and now they're souring the whole thing by trying to take other's rights away. I doubt someone of the muslim faith, or islamic faith, or jewish faith or whatever other faith wouldn't be trying to get married in a christian church, and I don't think they'd try to pursue legal action to force them to. It just doesn't make sense. Why would you want to get married in a church that doesn't support you? I can see maybe coming to some agreement to rent the building/facilities, but to try and force the church itself to marry you under christian faith?

I could see them having a leg to stand on if NO church would marry them, but I highly doubt that there isn't some church out there that would be open minded enough to marry them. They're complaining that this blessed time of their lives is being soured by the church's refusal. I think they're souring it themselves by not just seeking out a church, or even just someone who can officially marry them. Wouldn't they be happier in a place that accepts them rather than a place that would have animosity towards them during the entire process?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I have said it would never happen here and I still don't think it would.

As for this case, I hope it doesn't either. I think they need to pick up their whiny attitudes and just shop around for a church that will marry them. Suing them sounds childish.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I have said it would never happen here and I still don't think it would.

As for this case, I hope it doesn't either. I think they need to pick up their whiny attitudes and just shop around for a church that will marry them. Suing them sounds childish.
Oh I know, I was speaking generally, not about any comments here. I think it just might happen once it is recognized more here in the US. I hope they rethink this, or lose whatever it is they are seeking here. I understand what they want, but you can't force a church to accept them.

Shwa

V.I.P.
This gets on my nerves to the core, I remember when the gay community were asking for acceptance and not demanding it. It seems like now that the gay community is becoming more and more accepted, they seem to mistake themselves feeling that they are entitled to everything just because things are changing slowly. The Church and state (or country) are separate for a reason, so they have their rules and regulations as the state/country does, they are not on the same level.

Forcing this kind of thing against a church is no better than forcing religion on people.

~Shwa

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
From what I've heard there are heaps of places who are doing non-religious weddings for gay couples, and some Christian churches who also do them, so I really have no idea why they are insisting on using one that doesn't. I personally wouldn't want my wedding to have anything to do with religion, particularly Christianity.

Sim

Registered Member
‘I am still not getting what I want’: Gay couple suing church for refusing ‘wedding’ | LifeSiteNews.com

I don't have a problem with the law and I applaud Marriage Act of 2013 and Great Britain recognizing gay marriage, good for them. I do have a problem with trying to force a Christian church to recognize and perform the ceremony.

Actually yes you are trying to force the Church into marrying you. If that's what the church teaches, and you disagree with it, leave the church and don't practice it. It's that simple.

Thoughts?
Yes, I agree with you.

IMO, it's a civil right for homosexuals to get legally married, but a matter of freedom of religion that any church or religious community can refuse to marry everybody who doesn't meet their criteria.

They should either choose a church that is willing to wed them, or stick to a merely legal marriage without church ceremony.