Analog of the moral question

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by FutureTrackStar, Dec 10, 2009.

1. FutureTrackStar

FutureTrackStar Registered Member

You are 13 years old. You are in your family's living room when, all of a sudden, your 11 year old brother hits you on the head with a dense object to knock you out.

You awaken to find yourself tied to a chair, your little brother standing before you with your father's homemade rifle in his hand. Also tied up in chairs are your 5 other brothers and sisters. They are all unconscious. You are bound extremely well to the chair, and cannot escape.

Your little brother says to you, "Now, I have the power over all of my siblings." He shows you the bullets inside the rifle. "I am the king of this house. But now, I must demonstrate my authority. I am going to shoot at least one of our siblings. I will either shoot our 1 year old baby brother, or I will shoot all the others and leave our baby brother to live. But, I will let you choose for me. Which act would you have me commit?"

Unbeknown to him, however, is the presence of your father. You see your father standing behind him, several feet back, cool and calm as ever. You suddenly remember the time when your father showed you his gun. You remember that your father included a security mechanism, so that he can remotely deactivate the gun if it were to ever get into the wrong hands.

You tell your little brother, "You don't want to do this. Father will be very angry at you. And these are our brothers and sisters. You love them, and our father loves them, and our father loves you too. Don't do this. Besides, our Father could deactivate that gun at any time."

Your brother yells, "OH YEA!" and fires of a few rounds just for demonstration. "He can deactivate it?! Really?! I don't think so! Our father is dead! I haven't seen him or heard from him in ages!!! I am the king now!"

You tell your brother that your Father is with them at that very moment, but he does not believe you.

At last, he declares, "If your next words are not your decision, then I will shoot you and ALL of our siblings. Now... which which act would you have me commit?!"

You see your father, standing right behind your younger brother, not making a sound. His face is stern, and he seems relaxed. He looks directly at you, into your eyes, and you can see that his eyes are slightly watered. He holds the deactivator in his hand, at the ready, waiting for you to speak. Your Father is in ultimate control.

What do you say?

2. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

I'd say, "Dad, why haven't you pressed the fucking button yet?"

Only a fucked up father would wait for you to make the decision before pressing the button.

3. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Haha yeah I'd wait for Dad to press the button and then hope to God he kicks your younger brother in the face for being a dickhead. I dont know why Dad would even wait for me to make a decision. If that's the case I'd just make something up and then hope he presses the button like a normal person would.

Seriously.

4. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

seriously FT, tell us the answer now.
    cuz whatever answer we give, you'll say it's wrong. lol.

but if dad will press the button on time, i could give whatever answer.
    but i don't know what is dad going to do.

i was going to tell him to shoot our at dad/father! he could've avoided all this.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  5. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I'd say that the father should be put in prison and possibly executed.

Not only is he building guns out of his home, but he's having a hard time deciding whether or not to allow his son to use said gun to kill his other children. The fact that it has taken this man more than 1 second to make the decision to deactivate the gun is a sign enough that he's a sick man.

Either that or FTS sucks at constructing believable or effective hypothetical situations which is quite possible.

I'm going to just stick to my assumption that this is yet another vague religious lesson painted over by some insanely improbable and stretched situation.

6. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I see what you did there.

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

That was part of my reason as to why I figured this was just another lame attempt to preach some religious lesson, such as "He is always with you and He is able to act but only with your guidance" or something goofy like that.

8. FutureTrackStar

FutureTrackStar Registered Member

I entitled the thread with the word "Analog" for a reason. It's an analogy for the previous thread. Although, it's not very good, because there is no analog for God.

- Yes, but why is that? Because a human father cannot see the future, and a human father is never in ultimate control, so a normal, loving human father would deactivate the gun immediately.

But this is exactly why I capitalized the word "Father" several times. I was trying to communicate the literal presence of our Heavenly Father by using a literal, physical human father, who was actually inside the room (which is why I included the line "You tell your brother that your Father is with them at that very moment, but he does not believe you"). I was also trying to communicate that, not only is the Heavenly Father with you at all times, He is in ultimate control... He exists in the future just as much as He does in the present and past... and the fate of his children, ultimately, rests in His hands (which is why I included the line "Your Father is in ultimate control.").

So, yes, the human father would be a complete dumbass and should be thrown in jail for allowing his children to be put in danger. But that's just it... if the father were the Father, His children would not be in danger, because the gun-wielding child has no power whatsoever against the Almighty God.

The Right thing to say would obviously be the same as the last thread:

"I would have you commit neither act"

But notice that the analog was among a literal family. A father wants his children to love each other, because that is what is best, and that will make his children happy. Our Father wants us all to love each other, even our enemies, because we all have the same Father, and we are all one family. So, in the previous thread, you should love the gun-man.

9. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

Why is this not in Religion?

Also, FTS, you missed out the words "I believe" several times in your post. Just so you know.

Anyway, shoot the baby, save the family, hope the dad presses the button in time, etc.

10. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

yeah loving the gunman because we have a common Father.
    i'm so disappointed of Him for cheating on my Mother.

i'm not sure where you're trying to take us FT, but you can't make people love God if they don't care about him...thus you can't make people put a positive glance on everyone and everything.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009