• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

An original animated series.

Brent

Registered Member
In our free time, me and some friends work our cartoon show. It's "no-budget" and only one person is doing the animation, music, and writing. The show is titled "Yonder Ho!" Let us know what you guys think!

*Everything is subject to change.*

Description: (Optional)

Yonder Ho! is a show centered around adventure, fun, and mystery that's just it's own thing, just different from any other show. It's more about fun and adventure than peril and villains, there are villains though. The series follows the adventures of boy simply named Pete, a young, bizarre child on a lifelong quest to find his lost parents. Though the show generally doesn't focus on that aspect too much. More on Pete later...

Setting:

Bare with me...The show takes place in the year 2088, but more interestingly, it also takes place in an alternate timeline that dramatically splits off in 1991. I chose 1991 for a very specific reason that I won't divulge quite yet. In the show's mythology, an event of biblical proportions happened in 1991 that changed the world completely. The date 5-21-1991 is referenced throughout the series and occasionally referred to as the “New Zealand Renaissance”. Dates prior are sillily referred to as “The Before Times”. What happened is one of the many mysteries of the series and probably the biggest. The world I've created is varied to say the least. From high-tech walrus themed cities in the sky and dusty old western towns, to alternate universes and cities made of cheese, the show really runs the gamut. Nothing in this show seems out of place given the flexibility of settings and themes. This way, I feel less limited in my writing. If I want a peppermint mine on the outskirts of an ice spewing “snowcano” in a cloud kingdom on Earth's third moon then it'll fit right in. It's really a world where anything is possible.

Pete:

Again, bare with me...Pete is a sweet, easygoing little boy who has lived on his own outside for the past 5 years after his parents went missing. He is extremely kind and generous, often putting his own life in danger to help complete strangers. He often gets into perilous situations but narrowly overcomes the odds. No matter how bad things get, he never worries and never panics. He lives for fun and adventure, never staying in one place for very long. While tough and adventurous, Pete is somewhat feminine, often being mistaken for a girl. He very rarely expresses any anger, and is mostly content with his sometimes grievous life.

His speech is very odd, he often uses obscure or otherwise made-up words in his vocabulary. He is overwhelmingly strange at times, even to the point of scaring those around him. He has a very strong imagination, having several imaginary companions to keep him company in his mostly solitary life. Not entirely sane at time, he occasionally has intense hallucinations of an alternate life.

Pete's goal in life is to find his long lost parents and reunite his family. He spends nearly all of his time wandering the world searching for them. During his travels, no matter where he goes, he runs into his favorite archenemy, Blue John who constantly tries to sabotage him for reasons unknown. More on Blue John later. Though Pete is self sufficient and independent of others, he's still a kid and is very playful. He loves to play games with other people be them kids or adults, he doesn't see age. His favorite game is “Hide 'n Go Search.” A game he claims to have invented.

Pete lives on a vegetarian diet mainly consisting of berries, flowers and carrots. Because he eats so little, he's very skinny. In one episode, he easily goes 17 days without eating (an homage to an old inside joke). His favorite food is “cubed mammoth apples.”

Pete may be a sweet, playful child but there's way more than meets the eye with him. He has deep psychological troubles that make him a more unique character. When alone, he tends to carry on conversations with himself which is turning out to be a very interesting concept when writing the dialog. He does tend to have hallucinations. Sometimes Pete becomes colorblind and everything slowly shifts from grayscale to a primary black and white. When this happened, in his minds eye he becomes a ghost from his mouth following a dimly lit iron sun though a tunnel of darkness. On the other side is an odd world where everything is the same but slightly different. All characters have a different voice and things are colored differently. Weather or not it's all a hallucination is another mystery of the show.Pete once had a kitten named Kiddle Dee that was killed by a unicorn in a green plaid suit, but Pete still sees her occasionally as a tiny imaginary cat that lives in a cottage on his shoe.

So basically Pete is an overly nice, brave, goodhearted yet emotionally damaged, sporadically psychotic homeless child with a speech disorder who is so strong-minded and optimistic that nothing in life can crush his unbreakable spirit. Yeah, he's a fun character. I guess you could compare him to an insane version of Little Bear.

Blue John:

Blue John is a large, bearded, blue skinned man who serves as Pete's Nemesis. He mostly uses his power and influence over others to accomplish what he is trying to do. Though never explained why, Blue John is almost always depicted as a leader. Be it a king, mayor, captain, or even a self proclaimed god, he is always shown as a higher-up. Blue John is generally portrayed as of low intelligence, typically acting without thinking and utilizing brute force, but does display some ability for complex tactical planning.

Blue John is malicious, annoying, greedy, selfish and has few redeeming qualities. Though despite this, he is generally harmless and easily fooled. Though he'd never admit it, he actually does care about Pete in some capacity. In one episode he uses a pineapple vending machine to crush his own body after he believes to have killed Pete with his female talking mustache train. Blue John is very eccentric (Who'da thunk it, right?). Perhaps even more so than Pete. Blue John is beyond strange in the things he does, such as having a juvenile walrus slave plowing his asparagus fields. And becoming mayor just so he can ban root beer to push his imitation cola on a small town named Root Beer.

Blue John has a brother named Teal John.

Story Telling:

Sometimes the show doesn't really seem to have a plot, sometimes it's just Pete having fun, and some of the episode's plots don't have morals to them. I basically just write whatever I want. Again, I do this to give me more freedom in my writing. I've been asked what my target audience is. The target audience is me call me selfish. I don't even know what age group this is anymore. The show is often extremely childish but can be something very, very dark and depressing at times. Sometimes it's Nick Jr. and other times it's adult swim if that makes any sense.

Inspiration:

Inspiration and ideas can come from just about anything, but still, these are pretty strange. They're all true though.

• Video games made from 1981 – 1991.(Bonk, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong...ect) • Cheese • Little Bear • Pink lemonade • Dragon Ball • The date 5-21-1991 (One of the main inspiration for the show.) • Passion Pit • Flowers • The color orange • Gems • Howl's Moving Castle • Adventure Time • Grass • Flapjack • Various Nick Jr. shows I used to watch. • Crystals • Psychological disorders and theories. • Female leaders • Candy • Myself • Bambi • Lost • Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy • Paintings • Courage the Cowardly Dog • Emotions • Spongebob • Glass doorknobs • Large fields • Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo • Ponyo • Ren And Stimpy • The human imagination • The Lord of The Rings • Water (Huge inspiration)

And many MANY more...

I'm not really trying to impress or appeal to anyone and maybe I won't. Put simply, the goal is to make a tale I enjoy telling, to make something that I like. I do worry that people just won't get the show though. I don't think I painted a very good picture of what the show is actually like in this message, I feel like I made it sound more depressing and less funny than it really is, or like it takes itself too seriously which it doesn't, but I'm tired of trying to write this. Seriously, I've written like 3 drafts of this same message. I just don't know what I want to write I guess. You'll just have to wait and see the show when it hits YouTube in 20 years or so. I feel like what I've written is a bit random. Well, I hope I at least made it sound interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKqAraJXAvk

Yonder Ho! - Blue John's Moving Walrus (S01E02) - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkOJrSrMJiU

There's only 3 episodes so far, but I've written several more and the best one have yet to come. So yeah, tell us what you think!:)

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think your videos are cute and entertaining. I have to admit I'm not big on animation but I think you have real talent for it. Sounds like you gave a lot of thought on your characters too.

Brent

Registered Member
I think your videos are cute and entertaining. I have to admit I'm not big on animation but I think you have real talent for it. Sounds like you gave a lot of thought on your characters too.

Glad you enjoyed it :) A lot of people who watch it are confused by it.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not going to claim I understood all of it but I thought that farting joke in the last video was so funny. I guess I'm a sucker for a good farting joke.

How long did it take you and your friends to make one of these videos?

Brent

Registered Member
I'm not going to claim I understood all of it but I thought that farting joke in the last video was so funny. I guess I'm a sucker for a good farting joke.

How long did it take you and your friends to make one of these videos?
I don't even know what the show is about at times really, and yes, no one is immune flatulence:lol:
In terms of animating, the first episode took one week to make. The second took around two weeks. The third, do to setbacks, took a whole month.