• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

An Inconvenient Truth (and my class)

• Thread starter lil_red_riding_hood
  • Start date
L

lil_red_riding_hood

My entire school is set to go watch the movie an Inconvenient Truth this week. I think it's a little off, though. I mean, it's not for history class or environmental class, just our entire school. We're all going down the street to our little podunk theatre to watch it. Do you think that this is a little off? Not that I have anything against the movie or anything, but it does sound kind of odd that we are all going to see this movie. We've never gone to see a movie that had anything to do with politics... IDK, opinions welcome.

Peace,
Lil_Red:p

J

Justice For All

I haven't seen it yet but it's supposed to be really good and wake people up from what I hear. Your entire school is seeing it hey? Wow guess your school's staff really like Al Gore or something. Well tell us how it was.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Maybe it's not a specific educational experience as a kind of wake-up call to all kids. I don't think enough kids have the data available to decide or formulate an opinion on global climate change. Considering most predictions make climate change the biggest issue of my and your generations, its important that people be educated and thinking of ways they can help prevent it.

CMK_Eagle

Registered Member
Considering most predictions make climate change the biggest issue of my and your generations, its important that people be educated and thinking of ways they can help prevent it.
Well, this brings up the only issue I could see with bringing students to see this movie, and that's that climate change cannot be prevented without disasterous economic consequences and probably cannot be prevented at all.

That's not to say that educating children about climate change is a bad thing, or that we shouldn't be doing far more to at least slow and manage our impact on the environment. However, giving people false expectations is nearly as dangerous as continuing to do little to nothing about climate change.

T

The Abyss

Maybe it's not a specific educational experience as a kind of wake-up call to all kids. I don't think enough kids have the data available to decide or formulate an opinion on global climate change. Considering most predictions make climate change the biggest issue of my and your generations, its important that people be educated and thinking of ways they can help prevent it.

Yeah, cause if you know you need to change when your young, it'll stick with you.

S

Stay Away

My entire school is set to go watch the movie an Inconvenient Truth this week. I think it's a little off, though. I mean, it's not for history class or environmental class, just our entire school. We're all going down the street to our little podunk theatre to watch it. Do you think that this is a little off? Not that I have anything against the movie or anything, but it does sound kind of odd that we are all going to see this movie. We've never gone to see a movie that had anything to do with politics... IDK, opinions welcome.
Wow, there like f'ing brain washing you.

Are you going to have to start bringing copies of the new bible Day After Tomorrow and watching it. And when are you going to start persecuting the non-belivers?

Maybe it's not a specific educational experience as a kind of wake-up call to all kids. I don't think enough kids have the data available to decide or formulate an opinion on global climate change
Neither do politicians, adults, or even most scientists.

L

leopardpm

Peace,
Lil_Red:p
OMFG! How scary is this!

First off, I have seen the 'documentary' and it is 'powerful' - if you are not aware of the various types of fallacies presented (for instance, using pictures of glaciers taken during summer time versus during previous winter times to show 'glacial receding') then you are a prime candidate to take the bait, hook-line-and-sinker. Al Gore is compelling and a good presenter, and makes it all seem so 'obvious' - but it isn't. This movie will imbed in these young skulls full of mush and cause all sorts of bad decision making in the future, from voting, to personal decisions. This movie IS about a political opinion, and it is presented as if it were undeniable, incontestable fact. Pure propaganda and brainwashing, I hope that the teachers who view it are able to bring up counter-points and such in post-viewing classroom discussions to encourage individual thought and criticism. This is so sad.

L

lil_red_riding_hood

Wow, there like f'ing brain washing you.

Are you going to have to start bringing copies of the new bible Day After Tomorrow and watching it. And when are you going to start persecuting the non-belivers?

Neither do politicians, adults, or even most scientists.
Actually, when I was like in 5th grade, they brough copies of the New Bible and passed them out in class. Our school isn't exactly worried about the spread of propoganda because they buy into it too.

M

MID

OMFG! How scary is this!

First off, I have seen the 'documentary' and it is 'powerful' - if you are not aware of the various types of fallacies presented (for instance, using pictures of glaciers taken during summer time versus during previous winter times to show 'glacial receding') then you are a prime candidate to take the bait, hook-line-and-sinker. Al Gore is compelling and a good presenter, and makes it all seem so 'obvious' - but it isn't. This movie will imbed in these young skulls full of mush and cause all sorts of bad decision making in the future, from voting, to personal decisions. This movie IS about a political opinion, and it is presented as if it were undeniable, incontestable fact. Pure propaganda and brainwashing, I hope that the teachers who view it are able to bring up counter-points and such in post-viewing classroom discussions to encourage individual thought and criticism. This is so sad.

You're right...this is scary.

You make excellent points. Our schools are not any longer engaged in an exchange of ideas, and the cultivation of critical thinking skills based upon a complete presentation of both sides of an issue. They are engaged in endoctrination in a particularly skewed viewpoint with a decidedly pointed agenda in mind.

Global warming indeed.

The issue is not global warming. It is man-made global warming. That is an hypothesis, it is not established or proven scientific fact.

Indeed it is an hypothesis which finds only a certain type of support...the support of biased, agenda driven individuals.

What's the agenda?

The agenda is to attempt to make you so guilty about your contributions to the decline of the climate that eventually, you'll be willing to submit to draconian measures designed to limit your freedoms and supposedly cure the problem. Those measures will require submission to bigger government and higher taxes to fund these various measures and programs.

I think we all know which side of the political spectrum supports that sort of agenda, and why Al Gore, a man with absolutely no scientific background, is making movies about it...movies that are being force fed to our children, so that they come home screaming to their parents about the fact that Greenland's gonna melt in 20 years and that their home's going to be underwater from the rise in sea levels that is inevitable!

It's absolute lunacy...not only that such things are created for popular consumption, but that they're being force fed to our children by our schools! And this moron is winning Oscars???

This is indeed a dangerous situation, when our children are being taught to be non-rational boobs, by another non-rational boob with a political agenda.

The idea that men and their C02 production is influencing this planet's climate is completely unproven by any scientific standard. Most people, including Al Gore, haven't the faintest conception of the difference between an hypothesis and a fact of science.

Even the man-made hypothesis is shallow, when you consider facts that are well known:

* Between 1920 and 1940, the global average temperature rose at a rate that is approximately 25% higher than the rate which it has risen in the past 20 years. In that time, we had a fraction of the human-made C02 being put into the atmosphere.

* Mt. St. helens, which erupted in the most violent volcanic event in U.S. history, spewed more C02 into the atmosphere in ONE DAY than the entire population of automobiles in the U.S. could place in the atmopshere in ONE YEAR, and there was absolutely no catastrophic climatic effect from that event. Nothing whatsoever.

* You will note that the same people who today are touting man-made global warming, and the impending doom that is going to happen as a result of it within the next 20 to 100 years, were stating, 30 years ago, that we were entering a global colling period that would have ice-age like effects on the global climate. This of course, never happened.

Odds are, what we're looking at is the simple fact that this planet ebbs and flows cyclically. There is very likely no significance to the recent period of warming, any more than there was any real significance to the several years of global cooling in the mid-1970s which produced the hypothesis of a global ice age.

The entire idea of significant global warming is really rather silly. We have nothing to substantiate catastrophic claims, man made or not.

We do know this, however:

* Fairbanks, Alaska, a place which is rather used to snow, is inundated with more of it this season than they've seen for a very, very long time (there are Moose in the streets up there because they can't get around in their natural habitat because of the amount of snow there).

* Upstate New York is under about 12 feet of the stuff in places...which is a little too much to handle, even for places like Oswego and Buffalo.

* The Mid-Atlantic, North East, and Mid-West have been exposed to ice storms, sleet, and temperatures below 10 degrees F for some time this winter.

* Citrus prices have doubled this past month or so...because of a freeze that destroyed crops in California...of all places.

This of course, is all due to global warming...right?

Yea.

Recall that many Americans blamed the environmental policies of President Bush for the overtly violent 2005 hurricane season, which of course saw New Orleans devastated by one of them. He caused global warming, of course, which triggered that season.

Never mind that New Orleans was built some 215 years ago in a hole below sea level on the gulf coast of the Unites States and has been living on borrowed time (and in abject neglect of warnings for decades about the possibility of Mother Nature giving her a hard time)...

Explain why the 2006 hurricane season was virtually non-existent. Not one major hurricane hit the U.S. coast. Hmmm. I suppose that vindicated President Bush then, right?

The point is this:

There isn't any empirical evidence to support the idea of man-made global warming...no more than there was any empirical evidence to support the idea of a global ice age in the mid to late 1970s (something which of course did not happen, despite the major media coverage of the impending doom of that period). It is an hypothesis, which by definition,hasn't been proven yet, and very likely can't be proven, and will not be in vogue 30 years from now.

The probability is that we're observing minor shifts that are a natural part of the Earth's cyclical nature.

A fact which seems to be undeniable is that the Earth does what it does, and has absolutely no regard for what the humans who populate its surface as a microscopicpic annoyance at best, do.

It is an over-inflated sense of self importance that makes weather "bad", and attaches human attributes to weather events like snow storms and hurricanes and tornadoes (bad, violent, vicious, etc.). It could well be, in light of the Earth's handling of events like Mt. St. Helens, that she has absolutely no concern for humans in what she does.

The same self-importance make us think that we have the capability of altering the planetary environment. The idea, quite frankly, is ludicrous, and is unsubstantiated by any emprical scientific data.

By the way, Mars is warming globally, on average, in a very similar fashion to what the Earth is. It may not be significant at all, but it does point to a much more logical hypothesis...

...that the Sun, which powers the global climate, and all of life on this planet (as well as the climates and patterns on any other planet in its system) is behind the whole thing. There is nothing humans can do about the Sun, of course. It's there, doing its own cyclical thing, as it always has. We are puny compared with that little old star out there.

Odds are, the Sun is behind what we observe. After all, the same type of thing is happening on Mars, which is about 40 million miles away, and has no humans, nor has any C02 being spewed by them into its atmosphere...

Food for thought...

I

InfirmaryBlues

Yeah the whole thing is rather bogus. We've been taking records of temperature for only about 150 years? And earth is around 4 billion years old? How can we argue our harming a 4 billion year old rock with only 150 years of information?

I think we humans have some sort of ego issue in how important we think we are. At worst, Mother Nature adapts to whatever damage we've done...if we have done damage. At worst, its the redistribution of earth resources.