• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

An ethical dillema

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
You cant jump the grapevine and go over your boss' head to get him in trouble. Thats bad business ethics.

What you have to do is compile evidence. Get the people that are complaining to get their statements on paper and be willing to back them up. Then the guy HAS to be confronted at least once.

The rule of thumb that I was taught is that they have to be confronted and offered the chance to change. Then once you have record of confronting them with the problem and it still persists then you have all the right to go over his head to the Division bossman.

If they're afraid of getting fired for saying anything... just remind them that they're protected under Federal Whistleblower laws. If they are truly being harassed then they have nothing to worry about.

Wade8813

Registered Member
It's illegal for a person to be fired for making a good-faith complaint (ie the complaint isn't just malicious and completely based on a lie).

Since you're in a managerial position, I believe you're required to do something, since this counts as them coming to you. Get in contact with an HR professional and find out what the rules are. It's possible that even though they came to you, they still get to decide whether or not they want to pursue any actions against him. As a manager though, you probably have to tell them what their options are, how they're protected by the law, etc.

Document everything

I'm not sure if you're allowed to tell them that there are other people in the same situation they are.

SuiGeneris

blue 3
Thanks guys for the support. I'll be starting to talk to all the girls. My worry is there is no real way to document this, without informing the "higher ups." He can delete any documentation I can create.

Keep in mind this is a privately owned (albeit franchised) fast food restaurant. The GM answers to two people, the District Manager and the owners that's it. There's no HR. However, I will definatly document the girls' side, get it in writing and go from there.

I agree that his actions are just not ok.

And for what is dirty:

Him: "So when are you coming over for that threesome"
Her: "No, you're really not my type: fat and ugly."
Him: "Oh you are a bad girl."

Just a sample.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Hmm, email with read receipt? He can delete it but you'd have proof of what you originally sent on your sentbox (you can't alter that), and you'd have proof he read it.

shelgarr

Registered Member
It's a text, correct? They can be stored and used as evidence?

If you don't have an official HR that will represent your side and make sure there isn't appropriate actions, than I think you should contact a lawyer. It's likely you won't have to fully utilize legal help, but it says a lot that you had it ready.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Thanks guys for the support. I'll be starting to talk to all the girls. My worry is there is no real way to document this, without informing the "higher ups." He can delete any documentation I can create.
Simply writing it down on a piece of paper that you keep somewhere is documentation.

Think about how much more effective it is if instead of "he's said some really inappropriate things" you present "on June 25th at about 3:20 pm, he told her X"

Keep in mind this is a privately owned (albeit franchised) fast food restaurant. The GM answers to two people, the District Manager and the owners that's it. There's no HR. However, I will definatly document the girls' side, get it in writing and go from there.
I wonder if there isn't someone you could go to at corporate - that you just don't know about 'em.

Amykayleigh

Registered Member
I think you would be more likely to lose your job if you didn't say anything when these people are coming to you, than if you just went and brought it to the attention of someone higher up. As long as the girls have proof, then there shouldn't be anything wrong with you speaking up

SuiGeneris

blue 3
Just an update - the other week I did finally come forward and had a talk with my District Manager. We talked back and forth for about an hour and a half. The next day my boss was fired. Thanks for the advice and the help, really helped.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Thanks for the update! So good to see when the proper procedures work like they should.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Just an update - the other week I did finally come forward and had a talk with my District Manager. We talked back and forth for about an hour and a half. The next day my boss was fired. Thanks for the advice and the help, really helped.
Really glad to hear that it worked out, and that he got what he had deserved.

So did you come forward with things documented, quotes, etc. as people had advised in the thread? I'm curious as to how it went down.