• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

An Act of Cruelty

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I was having a conversation with a mate, or more accurately, he was having a bit of a rant. Anyway, he remarked on the idea that 'having a kid in todays society is an act of cruelty'.

I'm pretty aware of films, and I'm very aware of this being a quote from 'The Rock' - He probably knew too, yet decided to copy it.
Nonetheless, he seemed to be enthused about the idea. He considered the idea to be true, that in the current economic crisis, and what with terrorism and crime rates and all the other stuff he went on about - basically claiming the 'world to be shit' - that having a child, or even contemplating it, was in itself 'an act of cruelty'.

Now fair enough, I can see why he might consider this to be true. Yet I am not convinced at all. It seems like a very far-fetched and horrific point of view, although I suppose I may be biased. Most likely due to the fact that I would like to be a father some day, so the idea really scathed.
I don't consider the world that bad, and I don't know why he does, to the extent at which he remarked, especially considering the fortune we have to live where we do. Although, I reckon there may be a bit more to it than just this.

Either way. What do you make of this idea?
Do you reckon there is validity in the statement, do you agree with it completely - or is it just tripe as far as you're concerned?

And -I dare say that the world has progressed a fair deal since 1996 when The Rock came out. Do you reckon the statement meant more then, than it does now... Or the other way around?

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
I've heard it argued before, although that was more about overpopulation than crime (although it's argued that overpopulation often leads to crime).

Obviously, contemplating having a child isn't cruelty. Just like contemplating torturing puppies isn't actually cruelty. You have to actually do it to be cruel. But that's really neither here nor there ;).

From what I've heard, at least in the US, major crimes are down pretty much across the board. Most people can go through their lives and never be the victims of any of the really bad crimes.

As far as terrorism goes, I'm really not too worried about it. Thousands more Americans die every year from smoking related causes than people who died in 9/11.

In regards to the economic crisis, I think the key word there is Current. Economic crises come and go all the time.

There are things to be concerned about. And if someone feels that it's not a good idea to bring kids into the world, I can understand that. But to insist that others are being cruel? That seems like a bit of a stretch.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
The idea that the world is more violent now or more cruel than before is false. So I don't see how that can be cruel.

I also fail to see the argument that extending life on this planet is cruel. That just completely escapes me and makes no sense whatsover.

shelgarr

Registered Member
I can relate to this notion a bit. There are very threatening things that happen these days. We have had child rapes/murders in my community, and 9/11 was a vulnerable time, internet has it dangers, college is hard to pay for, establishing a career/income level probably takes longer, inflation is staggering, and natrual resources are gravely affected. Yet, being a mother, and seeing my kids thrive in happiness, excitement, and anticipation despite my knowledge of the gravity of what lays ahead makes me glad that "ignorance is bliss".

MiloIsYum

Registered Member
I don't know if it's because I've grown up, and as a kid I was oblivious to all the problems in the world (didn't watch/understand the news and whatnot), but to me these days, the world seems a lot more dangerous. I still wouldn't consider it cruel to bring a child into it though. I'm still alive, I'm sure my kid would make it. If the world doesn't end next year.

Dabs

Registered Member
Looking back to when my youngest was 6 months old and I would watch him sleep- fast forward to now, he will soon be 27 years old. Oh hell yeah, I see things in the world that make me believe it is more dangerous, things are worse.

Daemonic

Registered Member
I do have a child, and love him to death but was young at the time and didn't see the world like I do now. I hope he ends up in a good place, and the world does not harm him. If you ask me this question now, I would say I wouldn't want to bring another child in the world. I think the answer to this also depends on a persons quality of living. For those that have the money and resources to give a child a good life and future I don't think it is cruel. I do think the world is going downhill though and there are also other options out there. For example, while it may often be cruel to bring a child into the world as it is now there are children that have been born and need homes. Given the choice, if you don't have a lot to offer genetically and financially but can support, love, and want children I feel this is a better option. People will reproduce even if they can't support a child when the world is in a bad place. Plenty of children also need a good home.

So, unless you have a great deal to offer genetically, emotionally, and financially to a child I think adoption is a better choice. Depending on circumstances I believe it may be cruel to reproduce, but kind to adopt.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's clearly a comment on society itself and how much more dangerous things seem to get each year and how the general quality of life and its ingredients are declining. I don't think it has any literal meaning about having children, it's more a cynical statement about our world.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I don't think the quality of life is declining, not by any stretch. Maybe over what it was in the 1990s, when the U.S. was more prosperous. But when you look at how life has been throughout history, we are safer, healthier, and live longer than we ever have been. It just seems more dangerous now because news is received instantaneously, and nothing is held back. We know everything that goes on.

I don't think it's an act of cruelty to bring kids into this world. I feel bad for your mate who said that; how hopeless he must be. I think the world still has plenty to offer, despite all the bad that goes on. Look at all the good there is.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I don't think the quality of life is declining, not by any stretch. Maybe over what it was in the 1990s, when the U.S. was more prosperous. But when you look at how life has been throughout history, we are safer, healthier, and live longer than we ever have been. It just seems more dangerous now because news is received instantaneously, and nothing is held back. We know everything that goes on.

I don't think it's an act of cruelty to bring kids into this world. I feel bad for your mate who said that; how hopeless he must be. I think the world still has plenty to offer, despite all the bad that goes on. Look at all the good there is.
I got to say, I have a similar stance even though he is a friend. I'm not sure what brought him to his conclusion, as I can't see it either.
He often goes on about stuff in his own weird little way, but this one really struck me. At the time I couldn't quite bring myself to say much, mostly because he's pretty stubborn, so he wouldn't listen no matter what I said.

Although, I did find it pretty jarring. Especially since he probably knows I plan to have children some day - and a close relative of mine is also pregnant. My sister. - So hence, I was really put off by it. I don't know if I'll be looking at him in the same light again.

And you are damn right about the news. I'm sure I've made a thread about that somewhere. Highlighting the idea of scaremongering in the media. Something that I tend to shy away from too. I get the impression that those that have some faith in this notion strike me as being overly pessimistic.