• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

America's Stupid Lawsuits

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A McDonald's customer is suing the fast food restaurant for $1.5million because he was given only one napkin with his meal.

Webster Lucas claims he is now unable to work because of the 'undue mental anguish' and 'emotional distress' caused by the incident.

McDonald's sued for $1.5m by customer given just one NAPKIN | Mail Online
Yes I'm sure this caused you so much mental anguish you can't work. I hope they throw this lawsuit out of court. Its lawsuits like this that back up the courts. How do you know when it was said 'you people' they wasn't just talking about bitchy customers in general and not aimed at your race.

This lawsuit is one of many that I think is stupid. Like the guy mentioned below that sued because the manufacturer of the Winnebago he was driving didn't explain the use of cruise control thoroughly enough to him. Cruise control isn't automatic pilot and no you can't go make yourself a cup of coffee after engaging it.

A case which has gone down in legal folklaw involved Merv Grazinski who set his Winnebago on cruise control, slid away from the wheel and went back to fix a cup of coffee.

The Winnebago unsurprisingly crashed.

Grazinski blamed the manufacturer of the motor homes, above, for not warning against such a maneuver in the owner's manual. He sued and won $1.75 million.
He won, really. Yet we wonder why people start such suits to begin with.

What do you think about lawsuits like this? What can be done about them?

Laine

Registered Member
I can honestly say, Only in America could this happen lol. Both of these seem... I do not even know a word to describe it. The fact the man won the motor home lawsuit is amazing to me and something I can not understand.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would give anything if judges and jury's would stop awarding people like this money. It just encourages more stupid lawsuits.

I know a man that owns a restaurant and this older woman fell asleep in a booth and hit her head on the wall. She told him she was fine and the next thing he knew he was being sued. She won. The whole thing was her own fault. No wonder insurance is so high.

Clare

Registered Member
I can't even fathom these lawsuits. They are just completely ridiculous!

You're absolutely right though, the fact that any of these cases can be won is sure to encourage others to come up with stupid claims. Basically anything that is not explicitly stated can and will be sued against now. I shake my head when I see a bag of peanuts that says "contains nuts"... this is why!

None of these should be won though. My major problem is how they come to their decision. Soon as cruise control is a common fixture in all vehicle types I would have thought that would be enough reason in itself not to pay out (despite many other reasons). If you think cruise control is a robot system that will get you from A to B, then you shouldn't be behind the wheel.

As for your restaurant example... I can't even comment on that! :sigh: