America's Obesity

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Nosferatu_Alucard, May 14, 2006.

1. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Undead Intellectual

What do you all think about the problems with all of the types of obesity problems in America (childhood, health risks ect.)?

Personally, I think it is a huge problem. All a lot of it has to do with the food we eat the amount of exercises we get. Mostly we can all exercises how ever much we want but, we can't eat a lot of good food if there isn't any around due to all of the perserved enriched foods and fastfood resteraunts (McDonald's). Also I think the movie Super Size Me makes a lot of good points pointing out how McDonalds gets into their consumer's minds and has them keep coming back.

2. There is plenty of good food around, some idiots just over eat, or eat fast food on a regular basis, then wonder why they are fat. I am thin and yet I eat food I get at the store, or at fast food places from time to time.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

People are fat because these companies capitalize on America's on-the-go lifestyle. A lot of people need things quick, efficient, and cheap. McDonald's dollar menu? Perfect for the man/woman on the run who needs a quick lunch. However, this may happen 3-4 times a week, even more. We just don't get enough exercise to balance out that meal.

Also, good job with posting Baba, keep it up.

4. Nosferatu_Alucard

I think this obesity thing is going to be a lasting thing. Due to all of the people overeating there metabolisms are going to slow down and their children's is going to be low as well, creating a vicious ripple effect.

5. Merc

Well the worst part is the reaction to this 'epidemic' of obesity. Using Newton's law, it's only natural that there is an equally dangerous reaction, in this case, over-obsession with health. We all know it, we've all seen it, it's everywhere, America's new disgusting habit: Extreme health. People think that everything makes them fat, that they can't eat anything with a half an ounce of fat or they'll gain fifty freakin' pounds. So now, all of our favorite foods are being manipulated to attract the new "health-nut" crowd. I don't want whole grain Count Chocula, I want the damn chocolate pieces I grew up with. I don't have a weight problem. I am in good enough shape that I can play sports and enjoy the outdoors with the rest of them, why should I suffer because some lady couldn't keep her kid's fat little hands out of the freakin' cookie jar?

6. Fat adults tend to just let their children get fat as well, which is rather pointless, plus most parents cant take the time to fix an actual meal, so its fast food, or microwavable meals.

7. Merc

Exactly, the whole fast food for a fast/lazy lifestyle. It's one of those reasons most of the time. The only time I eat fast food is when I actually want it. I'll cook something up for myself if I'm hungry, but if I feel like having a quarter pounder, or chicken nuggets, I'll go get some. I try to give myself what I want and balance it out, something a lot of people can't seem to do.

8. I do not believe that parents are lazy, well all the time, but that they work, and dont have the time to actually cook a meal. Granted my mom still cooks and works a lot, but not all parents are like that.

9. Nosferatu_Alucard

Another big part of this fastfood era, is that there is some sort of addiction to it. Like I said before, if you have seen Super Size Me all the food you get from McDonald's (the salty fries, the sugar soda, the fatty burger) are all things our body likes and becomes addicted to them. When you eat them you get a rush and feel all warm n' fuzzy inside, when you don't have it you feel depressed and sluggish. Another way the companies get to people is that they get to them when they are young. Most McDonalds all have their "PlayPlaces" and have all these Ronald McDonald and Grimmace characters to make it even more attractive to the kids. Getting them early makes them addicted for life.

The companies are only in it for the money. They really don't care if people get fat and oh "boo-hoo" one or two people die on the side but all in all they really don't care. It's a business, their only objective is to obtain money not to improve the health lives of their consumers. Yes, it does sound cruel and unusually, but in the end it is all about the green

Luckily for me, I've broken the habit of fastfood but to my dislike I am still slightly overweight.

10. I have never became addicted to fast food, granted I'll get it once in a while, haha but you make it sound like a drug when its not. Last time I checked salt, soda, and fat, are not drugs.