• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Americans don't die because of lack of health Insurance.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is what Romney thinks, they can just go to the emergency room when they have a heart attack. I guess that would work well with a heart attack. What about that small spot on your arm that turned out to be melanoma that has spread when you finally got sick enough to go to the emergency room.

Need to be seeing a doctor long before it turns into a emergency room visit. There are lots of people that die because of lack of health insurance. My neighbor died because of lack of health insurance.

She had a stomach ache that wouldn't ago away but her doctor wouldn't put her in the hospital to do tests because of lack of insurance. It turned out to be a busted colon and she died in pain of a massive infection. She should of went to the emergency room but knew she couldn't afford it.

As Think Progress noted on Thursday, a Harvard Medical School analysis determined that nearly 45,000 people died in the United States each year largely because they did not have insurance.

Romney: No Americans ‘die because they don’t have insurance’

Frenzy

Registered Member
I'm not sure how you can argue your neighbor died because of lack of insurance. As I know it, no hospital can turn you away or refuse treatment because of lack of insurance. If her doctor refused her treatment then he should be liable in a law suite.

I am unsure if you are defending Obamacare here, but unless she was jobless and living in poverty, she would in fact would have had to pay for her healthcare insurance under Obamacare, or be fined. (once the final stages come into effect) Allot of people think Obamacare is going to "give" them healthcare and that simply isn't true. It will make anyone working go out and get insurance at ridiculous rates to pay for those who do not work, that is Obamacare in a nutshell.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Nobody has ever died because of insurance. Insurance is not a life threatening disease, it is a method to pay for something.

Your neighbor didn't die because of insurance, but because of a massive infection that possibly could have been treated had your neighbor been willing to pay for services. Apparently she chose not to get tested because she did not feel it was worth the money.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I didn't say she died because of insurance I said she died because of lack of it. She should of been hospitalized but she wasn't because she didn't have health insurance.

I'm not talking about Obamacare I'm talking about a statement by Romney that people don't die because of lack of health insurance when they do. His answer to this problem is just go to the emergency room when you become sick enough.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
This is what Romney thinks, they can just go to the emergency room when they have a heart attack.
Isn't that what the vast majority of heart attack victims go, if they are alive anyway? I don't know anyone who, while having a heart attack, calls up their family MD and says "Hey Doc, I'm having a heart attack, can you squeeze me in sometime this afternoon and take a look at this for me?" Most call an ambulance and they are rushed to the ER where they will be treated, regardless of the ability to pay. Nothing he said is incorrect.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I didn't say she died because of insurance I said she died because of lack of it. She should of been hospitalized but she wasn't because she didn't have health insurance.

I'm not talking about Obamacare I'm talking about a statement by Romney that people don't die because of lack of health insurance when they do. His answer to this problem is just go to the emergency room when you become sick enough.
So was the cause of death on the death certificate "lack of insurance"? No, it wasn't.

She could have been hospitalized or she could have gone earlier and got treatment. She decided she couldn't afford that. That was her choice. The hospital can not refuse patients because they lack insurance.

My best friend died, he didn't have insurance. I'm not running around blaming others for his untimely passing. He made choices on how he spent his resources and he chose not to see a doctor when he was having chest pains for a couple of weeks before he died.

My other friend is on the way to take his wife for a colonoscopy(?) which he will pay for because he chooses not to buy insurance. Hospitals accept checks and payments from anyone, not just insurance companies.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Americans do die because of lack of proper health insurance... but no means in any sane mind is it directly because of a lack of coverage. In extreme emergencies, people with and without insurance will go to hospitals, but there are crowds of people all over the country that refuse to get care (unless it is an emergency) because they don't want to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars on something that isn't life-threatening (or at least they don't think so).

I'm currently taking a class at college called "Pharmacy & Health Care Delivery", and we just wrapped up a 6 lecture open forum discussion on health insurance (in general), and we spent an hour and a half discussing lack of health care coverage and its effect on the general public. Our professor (a staunch Republican) believes that people do die because of a lack of health care coverage, but not directly... and as I said... I agree with that.

People make decisions about their coverage, and it's their decision. I have to agree with Mitt on this one. This is less about policy and more about personal decisions.

Shwa

V.I.P.
We had a patient come in with a tracheotomy tube inserted after an accident, kinda gruesome. But, their insurance covered them for the surgery and what not and a percentage of their hospital stay, like most insurances do. But, what they wouldn't cover would be the food needed to keep the person fed via I.V lines. I asked my nurse why don't they pump food into the veins like they did back in the day. She told me it was still available, but it would cost $3,000 per bag of fluid food.

It's not just the fact of going to the hospital, it's the fact that even without insurance, a bag of food can run up to 3 grand, one night stay while on life support could cost thousands more, and even staying in the room is expensive. Now imagine having to pay all of that without insurance :sigh:

~Shwa

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Its not a personal decision if you don't make enough money to pay for it and many people don't because like it has been said it is very expensive.

Sure you can go to the emergency room when things get bad enough but by that time it can be too late.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
It is a personal decision. Go to a doctor, pay for your tests, decide to get treated or decide that you don't want to pay for it. I know lots of people without insurance, they aren't dying from it. I just paid thousands out of pocket for tests, I decided that it was worthwhile. I could have bought some cool stuff with that money or maybe put some away for retirement.

No one has ever died because of insurance or the lack thereof.