Americans Bounced from Cup by Upstart Ghana

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would just like to say that I called it, everyone where saying that they had a strong team and everything but I said they won't make the next round and they didn't but I though they would get elimanated by a tougher team then Ghana.

I

IntheNet

I see the fault of the USA Men's National Team as 90% coaching; 10% team failing to step up for games. Coach Bruce Arena used an asinine 4:5:1 lineup for all games which has only one striker up top. This lineup never worked and is at best defensive; when in fact USA lacked offense. Thus right off the bat team is poised for defensive play. Bad move Bruce! Secondly our stars failed to show up... only Convey on field was impressive... Beasley, McBride, and Donovan never showed up in Germany. Gooch in defense was a total disaster. Casey in the net was out of position and off his line often. How this team tied Italy is a total mystery.

This crew set back USA soccer for a decade and blame goes to Arena! Beat by Ghana? Good Lord! This team was ranked by FIFA as 5th (based soley on its potential I guess). Now it may take 10 years before we ever qualify for World Cup competition again...

I also fault foolish call by Ref in Ghana game; but bad Refs have been a hallmark of this World Cup! Australia missed advancing simply because of bad Ref call.

All in all, Coach Bruce Arena ruined USA Soccer. I hold him responsible for our loss.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
You can't really say that a coach is to blame for a soccer lost, because he's not the fault, it's the players that couldn't score when they had the chance. Also like I stated earlier they should of defeated Ghana, I believe this was their first time in the World Cup, so there's no one to blame except the entire team not just the coach.

I

IntheNet

Vince Carter said:
You can't really say that a coach is to blame for a soccer lost, because he's not the fault...
The coach sets the formation and USA played with a 4:5:1 lineup which is defensive! That is why they lost!

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yes he might set up the rotation I agree with you, but only the players play of the field and score not the coach, I don't understand why in certain sports that people blame the coach, yes he does set the plays and gives them motavation, but the players are the one who does the most work, it's not the coaches fault.

I

IntheNet

Vince Carter said:
Yes he might set up the rotation I agree with you, but only the players play of the field and score not the coach, I don't understand why in certain sports that people blame the coach, yes he does set the plays and gives them motavation, but the players are the one who does the most work, it's not the coaches fault.
In soccer, formations are critical. Brian McBride was all on his own as the USA Men's Team ONLY FORWARD! Do a random check of all teams currently in World Cup and find out how many Forwards they play with and the formations they use... that is why the coach, in the case of the USA Men's team, is to blame here in large measure. Almost every American soccer sports commentator, after USA's loss to Ghana, blamed Coach Arena heavily. Although there was finger-pointing at both Beasley and Donovan, if the game formation is bad, there is little players to do.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Of course they'll blame it on the coach that's what everyone does, I watched two games of the Americans, and yes I have to agree with you that the formations weren't good, but that's not the reason why they lost, it's just because they aren't a good overall team, that's it.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I can see why the coach would be blamed for the losses. He'd the guy playing all the moves. Even if key players didn't step up, you'd think the coach would learn by now.