• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

American spelling is SHIT

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Honestly.
I hate the spell checking thing that pops up to say the word favourite or colour is spelt wrong.
They bloody aren't.

So, you don't put effort in enough to use a U. We do... --- You bungling goons.

--

Sorry. I don't wish to appear offensive... but American spelling is really irritating.

Anywho... I wonder if anyone else finds these American words annoying.

Also, I would LOVE to hear from an Australian or a Kiwi or some other English speaking people that can tell me how they spell stuff. Does your colour have a U in it? Like it should.

Impact

V.I.P.
As far as i'm aware, America is the only English speaking country that spells things without U. Speaking as a Kiwi, our English is more American English than it is British English. We spell things with Z instead of S. I can't think of an example right now though. Also, we use words like pants instead of trousers, etc.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit

You do realise this is liable to cause a shit storm?

BigBob

Registered Member
I think the words look pretty stupid with the U, so I'm glad we don't have it. Most words that are spelled differently between American English and British English are better in the American spelling IMO. But it's going to be different for everyone.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Honestly.
I hate the spell checking thing that pops up to say the word favourite or colour is spelt wrong.
They bloody aren't.

So, you don't put effort in enough to use a U. We do... --- You bungling goons.

--

Sorry. I don't wish to appear offensive... but American spelling is really irritating.

Anywho... I wonder if anyone else finds these American words annoying.

Also, I would LOVE to hear from an Australian or a Kiwi or some other English speaking people that can tell me how they spell stuff. Does your colour have a U in it? Like it should.
I think you need a UK spell checker. Why would it say those words are spelt wrong if you live there?

And I think the U's are pointless too, so what? I think the British words are annoying.

The fight is on.

This is going to sub talk haha

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
The word is "spelled" :lol:

Get it right!

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Didn't you hear?

The US and England have been having an Internet Cold War.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
No honestly. I mean God. The letter u is vital in this word, and considering the English language began here, more or less, then I guess it would be right to keep it as it is originally formed.

And yes Impact. The letter Z damn that thing... There's a reason for it being used consecutively such as this - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. - The S is civilised and nice.

I don't know why my spell checker is not Britishified. It must be something that is set on the site. Not that I'm too bothered or persnickety. But I keep noticing how it underlines my words in red.

And if a storm brews. So be it, I stick rigidly by my preference for British English. Proper English. --- From England. --- Or Germany perhaps :S :D
------
The word is "spelled" :lol:

Get it right!
Nope.
Spelt is fine. Here at least. Spelled sounds rather - well - child-like to me.
I eated my apple sir... etc etc.

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
the letter u is vital in "color"? it's not pronounced, so why is it in there?

furthermore, who really gives a shit?