• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

American military can't meet future threats

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
America will seriously lose military power leveller in the Asian power balance in the future. All of the US's plan in regards to answering the Asian threat is based on a large naval assault in the South China sea. The proliferation of submarines in Asian copuntries makes this plan that has existed for 50 years and recieved massive spending obsolete. The USA is in serious danger of losing the upper hand.

What strategy should the US be pursuing?

Last edited:

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
What strategy should the US be pursuing?
The U.S. military is too spread out right now. We should be focusing on defense before we try to build a massive offensive force again. The Americans are too depleted from occupations and bases on top of two major wars.

japedol

Registered Member
Conventional military conflicts and stubbornly independent "superpowers" aren't fit for our globalized, interdependent world. The peacocking will continue, but it's more and more an illusion in my opinion...

Wade8813

Registered Member
That's a debate that's currently been getting quite heated among senior military leadership in the US - how much of a role will conventional warfare play?

Some generals believe that we're spending so much time and money adapting counter-insurgency tactics, but we're neglecting other potential types of warfare that we might need to deal with (including possibly a return to conventional warfare).

Personally, I'm unsure either way.

japedol

Registered Member
I hope that intertwined economies has to some degree convinced politicians and populations that our national fates are linked. Warfare is so unnecessary after all we've accomplished.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I think the populace as a whole (and most politicians) are too stupid, shortsighted, and selfish to pay attention to that.

japedol

Registered Member
I expect the tough talk to go on forever. And of course, even large trading partners like the US and China will use their power in small quarrels over things like exchange rates and proxy nations. I think even politicians would recognize that open war would devastate both nations economy's, and would make really no strategic sense. Then again, I probably would have been saying this about Britain and France in 1914. (But then again, they didn't have nukes back then)

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
I hope that intertwined economies has to some degree convinced politicians and populations that our national fates are linked. Warfare is so unnecessary after all we've accomplished.
I couldn't agree more -the globalised world will be a messy one if military power continues to be used as a leveller.

C-Mach

Registered Member
It's time to end the empire. We're wasting billions if not trillions of dollars overseas on military operations and bases when we have problems here at home.

Shwa

V.I.P.
So far there has been no military confrontation with the Asian governments sea wise (that I can remember) when they are sent to be a somewhat "peacekeeper". Remember, North Korea assaulted South Korea, obviously they had the higher hand. The U.S Has treaties with various countries around the area and stand still is needed.

I do believe they are spending a lot of money sending war ships, but they are trying to preserve what peace that is left before a full scale invasion/takeover. At least that's how I see it, not only that, there is a lot of distance between them and us.

~Shwa