• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

American ISPs to launch massive copyright spying scheme on July 12

Iris

rainbow 11!
American ISPs to launch massive copyright spying scheme on July 12 | The Raw Story

If you download potentially copyrighted software, videos or music, your Internet service provider (ISP) has been watching, and they’re coming for you.

Specifically, they’re coming for you on Thursday, July 12.

That’s the date when the nation’s largest ISPs will all voluntarily implement a new anti-piracy plan that will engage network operators in the largest digital spying scheme in history, and see some users’ bandwidth completely cut off until they sign an agreement saying they will not download copyrighted materials.
What do you guys think of this? I'm not entirely sure if I should take this seriously. What have you guys heard?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
ISPs are doing something similar in the UK - or the very least they are trying to - and some ISPs are saying they agree and will go along with it, others are saying they see it is a massive intrusion of privacy. The worrying thing is this is something I can see happening.

My main concern is if this be retro-active. I am at the moment trying to be as clean as I can be, I have stopped downloading illigal content but I won't deny I have in the past but if they are going to do this retro-actively people who have got good intentions could get into trouble for something they did and no longer do it.

BigBob

Registered Member
I'm not taking it seriously, it is real but this isn't even really new. They've been doing this for years.

I've got friends who've received letters from their ISP's over the last couple of years with their bills stating that they've been keeping track of what they download and if they don't stop downloading illegally (some have stated that certain ISP's have actually named certain programs).

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well for one thing if they slow my download speed much more they may as well shut it off. Another thing if you watch some of these You Tube videos is it going to be considered piracy. This doesn't sound good to me.

Falconer

Registered Member
My main concern is if this be retro-active. I am at the moment trying to be as clean as I can be, I have stopped downloading illigal content but I won't deny I have in the past but if they are going to do this retro-actively people who have got good intentions could get into trouble for something they did and no longer do it.
Exactly my worry. We've probably all done it in the past, but I haven't for quite a while now -- months at least, probably a year or more. Maybe there'll be a time limit? If you haven't done it for X amount of time, they'll assume you've changed your evil ways and let you off?

Bigger concern -- though it won't be for too much longer, when I get my own place that isn't a student flat -- my gf's parents (where we stay when we're not in said student flat) download loads. Movies, mostly, but the brother uses their connection for all kinds of dodgy stuff (and has actually had a C&D letter telling him to knock it off uploading too, some years ago). He reckons he's perfectly safe; I suspect otherwise. I don't want to go back there for a long weekend and their internet have been cut off!! I'd be going light if I still lived there full-time, but even just over weekends or whatever would be annoying enough. :/ Same goes for people who houseshare, either with downloading family or uni flatmates, etc, who'll be penalised for something they personally didn't do, just because they use the same connection in the same apartment. Seems a tad unfair.