• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

American ISPs to launch massive copyright spying scheme on July 1

Iris

rainbow 11!
American ISPs to launch massive copyright spying scheme on July 1 | The Raw Story

If you download potentially copyrighted software, videos or music, your Internet service provider (ISP) has been watching, and they’re coming for you.

Specifically, they’re coming for you on Thursday, July 1.

That’s the date when the nation’s largest ISPs will all voluntarily implement a new anti-piracy plan that will engage network operators in the largest digital spying scheme in history, and see some users’ bandwidth completely cut off until they sign an agreement saying they will not download copyrighted materials.
Well, looks like it's happening. That anti-terrorist bill we saw a while back was passed. How does everyone feel like this? Don't you just love the lack of media attention it's been given?

You'd think places like CNN would cover it, but I haven't seen anything from them, though I could be wrong.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Personally, I believe it's stupid. That said, I can see why they're doing it. A lot of people steal and download illegaly(which is considered stealing), it's gotten really out of hand when you think about it.

Fortunately, this won't effect him because I haven't downloaded anything in about three to four years.

dDave

V.I.P.
That doesn't make any sense. July 1 is on a Sunday not a Thursday! :lol:

I do think that this is a good move though. If all ISPs go for it then they can actually put up a fight against piracy.

I've been against piracy ever since I found out what it was. It's always confused me how so many people could steal so much stuff and think nothing of it at all.

This move by ISPs is completely legal (and right for that matter) and I am in full support of it.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I can't blame people for not wanting their copyrighted material stolen. However I have been wondering what about when we quote a news article. Will they consider that stealing even though it has been put in quotes and you link back to them?