Movies American Gangster

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by CaliforniaSteve, Nov 13, 2007.

1. CaliforniaSteve

CaliforniaSteve Registered Member

So yea, I went with a date to see this movie on Saturday. It is (in my opinion) the best film of the year by far. It is a bit long (2.5 hours or so) but its very well written, and it ties up all of its loose ends at the end...like movies should but dont. Denzel plays an outstanding bad guy, one of the best roles ive seen him in. Hell, even ol Russel Crowe does a hell of a job in it as well. Go and see it, tis worth the money and the time.

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I've heard a lot of good things about this. I'll probably see it eventually. I've been avoiding the theaters lately though so maybe I'll rent it when it comes out.

3. CaliforniaSteve

Well, whatever route you choose to go, you wont be dissapointed.

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Pretty much everyone I know who has seen it has enjoyed it, so I definitely want to see it at some point. I'm not big on seeing movies in theaters, so I'll probably wait til it comes out on DVD.

5. dmny500

dmny500 Registered Member

Yeah, I want to see that cause it looks so good. Denzel is my favorite actor so I'm sure he wont let me down with this one. I like this type of movie too so I think I'll enjoy it if I get a chance to go see it in the theaters. I'll probably end up getting it from redbox at stop and shop later though. I heard a lot of people say it wasn't very good because it lacked action but I don't think a good movie needs action so I'll more than likely love it.

6. Teorropy

Teorropy Registered User

I think it looks great, I so want to go see this. I like Washington as an actor, he is pretty good. Looking foward to seeing it.

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Wow haven't heard the name Stop & Shop for ages. Are you out northeast in New England by chance?

And sorry I just broke my own rule.

Back on subject now. :)

To those who have seen it, what time period does it take place in? Is it comparable to "The Road to Perdition" with Tom Hanks?

8. CaliforniaSteve

It takes place over a span of about 5 years, from 1968 to 1973 I believe. Its supposed to be based on a true story, and Denzel plays the role of Frank Lucas. i havent looked the name up to see if it is in fact a real person, but I would assume so. It is true that there isnt much action in terms of violence, but it really isnt needed. There is violence, mind you, and it can be intense at times, but the movie doesnt use it as a crutch to appeal to the audience.