American Fast Food Trends

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Mirage, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I saw this today and thought it would make a good thread.

This is according to financial consultant Dave Ramsey:

"American's spent $1.7 billion on fast food w/ their credit/debit cards in 2000. In 2008, that number had climbed to $70.4 billion. - CardTrack"

This actually does surprise me. I would not have guessed that it had gone up nearly that much, assuming those figures are accurate.

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I think you're missing the possibility that America has simply become more digital. I don't think it's a huge increase in fast food as much as it was a major increase in card usage. Sure fast food numbers may have risen but it doesn't sound like there's any consideration for the growing trend of people not carrying cash with them. Also, do you have a source to cite?

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Just his Facebook page. Apparently the source is "CardTrack" but I don't know what that is. That's why I said it was according to him in the OP.

And you're right, the digital vs. paper aspect does play a role here. But I remember 2000. I used a debit card then too and rarely carried cash. I still think this stat displays a significant increase in fast food purchases. You're right though that it's not a direct comparison.

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

There probably is a rise in fast food but that's also because the economy has been bleeding out for the past 10 years, people have almost been forced to buy cheap food. I still think you could contribute at least 50 billion of that number to an increase of card usage.

5. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

Those numbers do not hold much significance. If you recall most fast food restaurants operated on a cash-only basis in the late 90s and early 2000s.

6. nicolenicky

nicolenicky Registered Member

ya that makes sense.. its most likely like that in all industries now