Am I wasting my time?

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
So I'm a pretty skinny guy. I'm about 5'8" and weigh around 160-165 lbs. I am trying to do a little lifting but nothing too extreme. Honestly I dont really have time to do much working out but I feel like I should lift a couple times a week, just for something.

Right now I do 50 pushups and 50 leg throws a day and lift free weights probably 2 to 3 times a week. Is this going to help at all or do I actually need to go all out to get anything significant?

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
You won't get bigger unless you do it 3 times a week every week.

Pushups are going to give you stamina but not bulk. I would avoid doing them if you are looking to get bigger.

I am 5"6 and 182 atm. But I was closer to your weight when I started lifting.

You won't see results for months unless you intensify your routine.

It took me a good year of lifting to get some bulk but if you lifted 6x a week you should see results faster.

Also what are you eating?

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
You won't get bigger unless you do it 3 times a week every week.

Pushups are going to give you stamina but not bulk. I would avoid doing them if you are looking to get bigger.

I am 5"6 and 182 atm. But I was closer to your weight when I started lifting.

You won't see results for months unless you intensify your routine.

It took me a good year of lifting to get some bulk but if you lifted 6x a week you should see results faster.

Also what are you eating?
Yeah that makes sense to me...I've been wanting to step it up a notch and figured I'd have to see anything change.

What would you suggest I eat? I've never eaten all that well to be honest. I read all this stuff and it tells me to eat things high in protein and all that but I never know really what I SHOULD be eating.

And Echoes...not for any specific reason...just for the hell of it. And if you saw me you'd think I'm small, trust me.

liladal2331

Registered Member
Yea i agree i was not getting much bigger either. I do about 200 pushups and 20 pullups a day which did not help that much. I just recently got a gym membership so ill see how things go. Hopefully it will help. I am 5'11 and 135 so i gota gain some weight too haha

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
What would you suggest I eat? I've never eaten all that well to be honest. I read all this stuff and it tells me to eat things high in protein and all that but I never know really what I SHOULD be eating.
There are lots of things that have protein in them

eggs (my personal favorite)
cheese
milk
various types of meats
peanut butter

all of those are great sources of protein but of course that's what your whole diet should be.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
There are lots of things that have protein in them

eggs (my personal favorite)
cheese
milk
various types of meats
peanut butter

all of those are great sources of protein but of course that's what your whole diet should be.
Nice, I eat a lot of cheese and drink milk all the time...eggs are a big time favorite of mine as well. But youre right I cant have a diet of just that. I used to have the problem of not eating enough but I'm prett much over that now I think. mostly caused by stress from school/work.

Corona

Registered Member
Protein is good, but straight up calories are more important. You do not need 1 or 2 grams of protein per pound. You need more carbs and water to build muscle than you need protein. Also, yes, you can put on muscle. If you are skinny, you probably woun't be able to look anything like the Rock, but you can still bulk up and get pretty ripped. You just have to have the right workouts and the right diet.

padd

Registered Member
Take this from experience.. I'm smaller than you.. in all honesty it has ALOT to do with what you eat.. maybe you have a fast metabolsm. 165 is not skinny at all, in my opinion. You'd laugh but.. from time to time I've fluctuated anywhere between 130-150 lbs.. depending on how much I've been working out, eating.. playing sports. whatever.

-to gain bulk, pushups are a waste of time as they only tone what you already have

-to gain bulk eat alot of protein, and if you already do eat alot, eat even more.. your metablosm may be as fast as mine, just eat more.. eat 4 meals a day if you have to. And having an all protein diet is not bad.. as long as you eat in moderation, meaning the more protein you eat.. add more fruits/vegetables, etc.

-to gain bulk stick to a routine at a gym.. use machines.. they help in the begining as they isolate the muscle group you want to work out. Later in time use free weights, oh and always bench press+chest fly, just don't kill yourself over it hehe.

anyways, the #1 thing you have to have is patience.. I mean don't expect to get what you want in a day.. week, month. Sure there will be a difference but especially for a guy like me.. gaining bulk could take up to as much time as a year! not to mention I'm younger than you, then again.

Anyways.. I'm not a trainer or anything, but I just know about this stuff through experience. My objective was always more/less 150, although 150 may seem light to some people.. don't forget, keeping your body fat % is also a factor in sports. I've been playing sports my entire life and i was always at more/less 8% bf.

anyways, if you REALLY want to bulk up to the max, and I mean 200+ (though I've never even tried as it really drains you, although it is possible(since your already 165..) ) just stick to it, keep hitting the gym, add weight, eat.

no roids, no short cuts, no chaeting.. it'll take time though..

hope i didnt bore you..