Am I in Depression?

Atreyu

#2 New Zealander
First off, I'm pretty new here, but i plan on staying around.I'm not sure why im even asking this, but this place seems nice enough.

Small Details First

Sex:male.

k, keeping this as short as i can, Every day seems to go by with no change to the other. Sometimes I lay awake wondering if i'm going anywhere just from the fact nothing seems to be happening in my life.Meeting my GirlFriend on weekends is the only interesting thing. The rest of life just goes as a dull blur.

So i ask again: am i in depression?

TimmehD

Registered Member
It doesn't sound like depression, more like a lack of anything exciting. Sometimes life gets really mundane and you have to find stuff to combat that. Anyway, I'd say if you aren't having generally negative thoughts that you aren't depressed, just bored.

Bananas

Endangered Species
Its sounds like boredom rather than depression. However this type of boredom could lead to depression. Life is what you make it and the problem with depression it is self-escalating, each day gets progressively worse as it is spurred on by the previous days depression. It is a very hard cycle to break as all motivation and self-esteem is diminished.

Before you allow something like this to happen you can break the circle in the early stages. Your not suffering from depression but the attitude and the type of thinking you display could easily lead to it.

As corny as it sounds get yourself a hobby, create interests, keep your mind and body busy. We often have to much time to think about stuff that really does not need to be thought about. Replace this time with something stimulating. Reading, researching, learning, exercising, building, making stuff, writing, dancing, meditation, karate, build a website, whatever..... etcetera...do something proactive with your time. The library or local community centre is a great place to start and in itself something to keep your time occupied.

You say you look forward to the weekends, then, use the weekdays to prepare for them. Just some suggestions; Learn a recipe to cook for your girlfriend, read something you can tell her about, research places you can take her too, plan a surprise.

Life can get very mundane, but it is only as interesting as you make it, so make it worthwhile.

Having said all that;

Your 16 and at an age when you're not quite an adult and are certainly not considered a child. Its difficult to know what to do with yourself. Everybody talks about puberty and stuff as being a hard-time in life but it is not half as difficult as the years that follow when you go from being a teen to an adult. It is the late teens when your mind really changes; your thought process and interests alter and you try and find answers for all the decisions and thoughts that you shall ponder over. All I can advise is; Don't think about them to much!

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
It doesn't look like it, at least not clinically depressed. I like Banana's suggestions on simple stuff you can do to make your days more interesting.

6footninja

Registered Member
Pick up an instrument. A guitar, a bass, if you feel like spending the money for a start even a set of drums. I promise you'll be glad you did, you can even get decent guitars and basses to start with easily for around $100.

Or, start skateboarding. That was always a fun hobby. Until I got tendonitis.

FBrown89

Registered Member
Get a NetFlix.com account and watch a shitload of DVDs. Your not depressed, your just extremely bored. What do you like to do other than lay in bed, and hang out with your girlfriend? Collect anything? Read? Sports?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wouldn't say your depressed at all, I think like everyone else your just pretty bored. I don't know if your into sports or not, but maybe play some basketball, or join a sporting team to keep you occupied. Just find something you like and stick with it.

eveningsky339

Registered Member
First off, I'm pretty new here, but i plan on staying around.I'm not sure why im even asking this, but this place seems nice enough.

Small Details First

Sex:male.

k, keeping this as short as i can, Every day seems to go by with no change to the other. Sometimes I lay awake wondering if i'm going anywhere just from the fact nothing seems to be happening in my life.Meeting my Friend on weekends is the only interesting thing. The rest of life just goes as a dull blur.

So i ask again: am i in depression?
I have been through a severe clinical depression that nearly landed me in the local mental hospital, so I've been stuck in some pretty deep ruts before.

First, I recommend you fill this out.

http://www.carrettin.com/forms/Burns_Depression_Checklist.pdf

It's the most trusted and easy depression checklist out there.

As for advice, I would recommend several things: spend more time with your friend; spend some time outside just sitting on the grass and enjoying the sun; find a new hobby or pursue something that interests you; exercise.