• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Am I being selfish?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
My cat really really wants to go outside. She keeps sneaking out, but fortunately I recover her before she gets too far. I don't let her out because her mother and two brothers died as a direct result of going outside. Mama was found dead in the field with the damn carrion eating her when babies were just two weeks old. One brother went out one day and never came home. The other brother got hit by a car. All before they were 2 years old.

So I don't let Eliza outside now. She's 5 1/2 and up until quite recently she's been fine with staying inside, but lately she really wants out. So am I being selfish by keeping her inside? I think it matters more to me than it does to her that she stays alive; I believe that it's all the same to them whether they are on this plane of existence or the next one.

Am I a big fat meanie?

:sigh:

BigBob

Registered Member
The last cat that I had, who I had to put down, we didn't let him go outside after a neighbor stabbed in when I lived in Florida. After that, we never let him out. Luckily, we had a screened in porch down there so he could kind of get out some. Once we moved back to Pennsylvania, we didn't let him go out except when we moved into this one place where we lived on the 2nd floor and we'd let him go onto the back porch.

My current cat, we don't let him go outside at all.

Some cats are meant to be outside, but when you have bad experiences with letting them go out, then it's normal to not want to let them go outside. From your experiences, I'd say it's normal you're making her stay inside.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I never let my cat outside either. She didn't know enough not to run away. Sometimes I hooked a leash on her though, and attached it to the deck. It was a long enough leash she could hunt in the grass and stuff, but she couldn't wander off.

Dabs

Registered Member
I think if you really love your cat, then no, never let them outside. That's why their toilets are in the house, so they don't have to venture outside! :) Especially if they are declawed, they should definitely never be allowed out then.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I think you're being unselfish in a way, taking the choice that you know is right for your cat but might make you feel guilty. The easy way out would be to let her out, but as you and others have said (and as I've heard on many occasions) it can lead to disaster.

I think you're doing the right thing, Jeanie.

How much stimulation as far as play and exercise does she get while inside? I would think an increase in that could help, but I'm no vet.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
she gets plenty of exercise and play (I have another cat and two dogs) in the house, but she wants to go out and hunt. Which I suppose is another good reason to keep her inside.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
she gets plenty of exercise and play (I have another cat and two dogs) in the house, but she wants to go out and hunt. Which I suppose is another good reason to keep her inside.
Yeah I assumed that's why she wanted out, and in my view I'd agree that keeping her in is the best idea. Take away cars, people that would react poorly to having a cat around, etc. and you've still got bigger and more feral animals around.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
My parents have always have cats and the current cat gets the run of the house and can go out whenever she wants but where my parents live is quiet and they have lots of fields around them so in my parents place it is quite safe to let the cat go out whenever it wishes. I have wanted a cat for a very long time but I live in a bedsit with very little room and I live next to a road which is busy at all hours of the day and for that reason I have not got a cat. I would be too scared to let it out incase something happened. I think if you cat is happy to be in doors, is not crying at the door or scratching I don't think you are being selfish but protective.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Have you ever thought about investing in one of those big outdoor catwalk things? You get sort of big caged off areas where your cat can go outside but still be contained and out of harms way.

A lot of people started using them here in Australia after bans were put on letting cats outside at night as they were killing too many native birds.

This is what I am talking about:

Also, I know that cats aren't as responsive to them as dogs but have you ever thought about trying a lead? You can get cat harnesses and then you would be able to take her outside to explore the garden etc but still be at arms length at all times.

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I've tried a harness for her and she was completely freaked out. She hated it.

Of course I've thought about an enclosure like that but I don't have a job or live in my own home so it's out of the question. It's my dream to have something like that for her.