Alzheimer's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Babe_Ruth, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Now I am not sure if a lot of people have been close to a person that as Alzheimer's disease, so it might be tough to answer this question. Which one do you believe is harder to live with, having someone real close to you have Alzheimer or the person itself having it?

2. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

I think either person gets frustrated with it. It runs in my family so I can only assume I will have this knowledge first hand but when speaking with relatives and they are in the phase of not remembering anybody it is rough because all you can keep saying is who you are and what you mean to them. Most of the time they just remember from when they were young and start blathering about that because you can't get them to stop.

3. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I would have to say its easier to be the victim in this case. I'm sure the ignorance isn't exactly bliss and it must be highly frustrating, but after seeing what alzheimers does to family members I'll bet its far worse for them. My grandma has about 7 sisters, and one of them got this illness years ago. Everytime my grandma comes back from visiting her up north (her hometown is up there) shes very depressed for a long time, which is highly unusual for her. It breaks her heart to be away from her sisters when they're all struggling.

4. Arcadoc

Arcadoc Registered Member

My mother suffered from Alzheimer's for 7 years before it took her life in 2000. Alzheimer's is a disease that I wouldn't wish on my very worst enemy.

It gradually robs the person of their abilities, first mental and finally physical. After having watched her gradually lose her mental functions and awareness, I can tell you for a fact that it is terribly devastating to the families.

I refuse for that to happen to me. If I am ever so stricken, I would want someone to hand me one of my pistols and walk away....:(

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I personally believe it's tough on both sides, but I believe it's tougher on the loved ones of the person that as the terrible disease. Now I'm not sure about this, but the person that as the disease doesn't realise that he doesn't know who his wife is anymore or his children, but the wife and child have to live with that, which is probably very painful.

6. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

I think its hard for both sides equally, I don't think one has it harder then the other.
    The person who has it won't know whats going on, and if they do they will feel awful and so depressed that they are causing so much pain and frustration to their families and the family members that have to live with it will feel really depressed to see someone they care about slowly slip away from them and realise that there isn't anything they can do to help them.
    My grandad had this disease, I don't remember much about it since I was really young when he started to go and then died. I remember being scared of him because he acted so differently to how I used to remember him from years before. I didn't want to see him because he didn't know who I was and he wasn't the grandad that I knew from before the illness. It was scary when you are only 9 and it was hard from my granny and my mum too to get through it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  7. browneyes106

browneyes106 Registered Member

I think both would be hard. My grandmother who recently passed away had dementia. It's different from Alzheimer but there were times she was frustrated and there were times it was hard for people to be around her.

8. sb1732

sb1732 Registered Member

My grandma has had Alzheimer's for a number of years now, probably started about 8 years ago or something, im not sure. Even about 5 years ago she'd ask you the same question about 25 times, and now she's alot worse than that.

I really don't know what would be worse, soon as it's impossible to experience both. But i think maybe in this case it's harder for the loved ones.

9. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

My teacher has it and believe me it really is good at some point of the class because he wants to exit you from class, he gets into something else and he forgets

10. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I disagree. The family members know what is going on and can cope with this. The person who has the disease goes through a lot of confusion and frustration. It turns some really nice, sweet people into really mean and cranky ones who lash out at everyone because it scares them. I would hate to go through a state of constant confusion.

I saw someone go through it, and she got pretty bad before she ended up dying from cancer first.