• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Alternative to VPN

Reverend

Registered Member
I have an application that needs secure data transfer to and from a server, but the application resides on machines that are wirelessly networked. I had all sorts of problems setting up multi-point VPNs (between the application machine and the wireless routers, and between the routers and my server farm).

Then I ran across the idea of SSL Tunneling. Basically, you build a local proxy service that tunnels to the SSL server, similarly to what an https request would do in a browser.

There's an open source project out there called stunnel, and it seems to work great (at least on Mac OSX, which is all I have tested it on). It gives me a nice, secure link to my server, without having to configure certain traffic to only go through a VPN, etc.

So far, I am highly recommending it for this type of deployment. Now I got lots of testing to do ;)

Pete