• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Alternative realities / different solar systems

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I think when it comes to space exploration there is no way of knowing when we will know or see everything, its just to big but one thing that does interest me is the idea of alternative realities and differing solar systems, do you think it is likely that other realities are something that is likely? Where if you broke through the barriers we would find something either slightly the same or so different it would barely recognizable and if we did find another solar system and could walk around it do you think it would be the same sort of structure as ours? Do you think out planet is a one of miracle or simply one of hundreds maybe thousands of others?

I don't know the answer to these questions and in reality they are impossible to answer, I just wondered of others opinions.

dDave

V.I.P.
I believe that our planet is unique, there are so many factors that come into play that make Earth a hospitable place for life to exist and I don't even think that it was by chance that it happened, I think there is a creator and we are an intelligent design.

We have never found life in space, although I do think that they found a bacteria they believe may be able to survive out there. Space is rich with resources but it simply does not have life anywhere else I believe.

Random9

Registered Member
I believe that our planet is unique, there are so many factors that come into play that make Earth a hospitable place for life to exist and I don't even think that it was by chance that it happened, I think there is a creator and we are an intelligent design.

We have never found life in space, although I do think that they found a bacteria they believe may be able to survive out there. Space is rich with resources but it simply does not have life anywhere else I believe.
and who's to say he didn't make other unique planets?
and about us not finding life out there,what part of the universe do you think we thoroughly searched?
without really checking somewhere im pretty sure that we thoroughly checked approximately 0% of the universe so...

i think that there is life out there because i don't have any evidence to believe we are unique(my(or someone else for that matter) will to be unique doesn't count because i don't remember my will directly altering reality).
i think there is some sort a of preference for life to exist in conditions similar to ours but obviously im not too sure about that.

Manored

Registered Member
I dont think there is much point in speculating about the nature of alternate realities, since we currently have no way of interacting with them. I would go as far as to say that ever imaginable reality exists, but not necessarly within our reach. Only the ones we are ever able to interact with will ever matter.

Hiei

The Hierophant
I strongly believe in both, alternate realities and different solar systems. First off, there's lots of evidence of different solar systems. I'm pretty sure that you're thinking of something different but different solar systems are exactly that. Solar systems that are not our solar system. The universe if full of stars that have planets orbiting them. ;)

Anyway, I believe in alternate realities, too. According to NASA, the universe is flat.Flat in this sense is kind of like how the earth is "flat. We as inhabitants of the earth cannot leave this planet directly, (without extra means, namely spaceships) but we can go across the face of the planet and the horizon seems "flat." Knowing that, it only seems logical that there would be other universes out there orbiting around each other the same way that planets orbit stars in this universe.

Now, what's in the multiverse could be anything. There could be people exactly like us, only in a different color. There could be be giant beings made completely of magnetic energy that emit radiation from their godly vessel. It could be just alternate realities that have a different universe for every choice that can be made, or it could all be completely different experiments.

The bigger question, is how would we be able to get to the multiverse? Well, for this, I was thinking about how we leave the earth. We have to use spacecraft and lots of energy to basically punch our way through the atmosphere and into space. Well, taking that idea and stretching it a bit further got me thinking that in order to punch through the "atmosphere" of the universe, we'd need quite a bit of energy but more on that in a bit.

There are four fundamental forces in the universe. Electromagnetic, strong and weak interactions, and gravity. Gravity is the only force to:
Wikipedia

Gravitation is by far the weakest of the four interactions. Hence it is always ignored when doing particle physics. The weakness of gravity can easily be demonstrated by suspending a pin using a simple magnet (such as a refrigerator magnet). The magnet is able to hold the pin against the gravitational pull of the entire Earth.

Yet gravitation is very important for macroscopic objects and over macroscopic distances for the following reasons. Gravitation:

is the only interaction that acts on all particles having mass;
has an infinite range, like electromagnetism but unlike strong and weak interaction;
cannot be absorbed, transformed, or shielded against;
always attracts and never repels.
Gravity is the only force that is literally everywhere and cannot be stopped. It's the weakest, but what if it's the weakest because it's spread out between all of the multiverse? And even more importantly, what if traveling through gravity somehow is our ticket there?

Manored

Registered Member
I think that before we can even think of leaving the universe as we know it we need to be able to move around it better, that is, develop faster-than-light travel. But it doesnt seem like that will happen anytime soon =)