• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Alternate Uniforms

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
What do you think of teams occasionally wearing alternate uniforms instead of just having regular home/away uniforms? I'm not talking about throwback unis, but when teams wear colors that aren't their traditional unis. For example, when the Chicago Bulls wear black jerseys instead of red or white. Or when the Chicago Cubs wear blue instead of white or gray.

What are some of your favorite alternate unis?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Spectacular thread.

Some of my favorite Uniforms have actually been Alternates or Thirds. For instance, back before RBK Butchered the Hockey Jerseys... My favorite was this one:

The Blue Jackets eventually chose that 3rd Jersey logo over their First and changed it for the RBK Edge, but before that was the case... I loved this one. I actually have this one hanging on my wall. I believe its made by Koho but I could be wrong.

My opinion on 3rd Jerseys is simple. As long as its not overdone.... they are awesome. But when you get a team (in any sport) that wears their 3rd jersey so much that you cant even tell which one is their first anymore.... then its either time to Retire the first and Adopt the 3rd as your Primary, or cut back on the Alternating a bit.

Here and there are good, its hard to judge for sports across the board. Because with the difference in volume of games I cant just say "every 5 games is ok". But for like the NHL, I'd say maybe once every 2-3 weeks. Just depends on how the fans like it I guess. I know most of it is all about Money. The more exposure to that jersey the fans get the more they want it etc etc etc.... but still. I dont like it when they over do the Alternate.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I love the alternate jerseys, and for the most part the third jerseys are the nicest of the bunch in my opinion. The Montreal Canadiens have a lot of alternate jerseys since they've been around for over 100 years. Here's a few of them that I enjoy:

The last one isn't an alternate, it's the one they use for most of their games.

I also like the Cavaliers alternate jerseys.

There's few more that I enjoy, but those are the top ones.

dDave

V.I.P.
I don't really watch a lot of sports, but I do watch basketball, the Lakers especially.

I remember seeing this one a few times.

this is another favorite of mine.

They wear the white one a lot more often than black though, it's used just a little less often than the yellow I think.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Babe, I think most of those are throwback uniforms, which aren't really alternates.

And Dave, that black Lakers uniform looks very poorly photoshopped. I've never seen them wear black. I do like the white ones though. I think they wear them on Sundays. I like them way more than their traditional home yellow.

I'm a traditionalist, so I don't love alternate uniforms. I prefer when teams just have standard home and away uniforms that they wear all the time. I think it's a little ridiculous how the Oregon Ducks have literally thousands of different uniform combinations. I also hate when teams wear colors that aren't their team colors. Like if that Lakers picture was real. Black isn't one of their colors.

There are some that I like though. The Baltimore Ravens' all black uniforms are pretty awesome. Definitely better than their regular purple ones.

BigBob

Registered Member
Didn't see this thread until today.

Yeah, that black Lakers jersey is very poor.. but they sure faked Dave out ;)

Suprised no one threw up Oregon's alts. I love the all white ones. I love all of their older jerseys. Not a fan of the ones with little wings now.

Also love the Magics (now considered Alts) old jerseys.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I'm a big fan of this one...

I also liked the Titans 3rd jersey, the one that's like 90% baby blue. Just couldn't find a good picture of it.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
I love alternates, especially throwbacks. Actually, I like 'em all except the black jerseys most teams try to rock when black isn't in there color scheme, recent example being the Arizona Cardinals. That doesn't include the Ravens jersey above, that's awesome but it falls outside the rules, since black is in their color scheme.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I definitely agree with you Kons. That Sharks 3rd with the Full Shark logo is probably one of my absolute favorite newer NHL Alternate Jerseys.

One thing I've noticed now is that with all the RBK takeovers in the world o' sports... it feels like Jersey Changes happen almost every single season now. For instance the NHL is going through the addition of New Alternates for Teams yet again.

That to me is one of the only downfalls of the Alternates, when they change them over and over and over. But then again I guess that is the purpose of the Main Jerseys right, to remain the constant :hah: