Also calling it quits

Discussion in 'Money & Investing' started by MJonesMBA2001, May 17, 2005.

1. MJonesMBA2001

MJonesMBA2001 Registered Member

I'm going to call it quits on ebay too. I've had three recent weird stuff auctions flop, including my Darth Vader pork chop, which I thought would bring in some decent bids.

Fortunately, I've managed to about break even with all the regular stuff I've sold on ebay and the fees for everything I've done. Heck, I may even be in the hole.

I should have figured that there's no such thing as easy money and just quit while I was ahead.

Oh well. Thanks to all of you for your advice throughout my brief run at ebay fame!

2. helpisontheway

helpisontheway Registered Member

I also feel the same way about my current auction. Feel like hope is lost... but I am determined to have something work for me... Try, try again...

All it takes is not trying to succeed... sometimes too much effort is what fails...

3. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Please allow me to step on my soapbox for a minute here....
    Not every auction has to be a HP, remember when eBay was fun and you would get excited over a $10 return on something that you only paid .50 for? I think too many people are trying to come up with the next "big idea" and there are a lot of fun and crazy auctions out there as a result, but most will never make more than a few bucks! When I do an auction, it's for the fun of it, not in high hopes of making it big or getting tons of exposure. Take some stress off yourselves and do an auction "just for fun" you might be surprised by the results you get! JMHO
    (putting soapbox away now)

4. helpisontheway

helpisontheway Registered Member

Wash your mouth out with soap hehehehe...

I didn't get the soapbox comment, must be the blond coming out...
    See when it comes to my auction... it's something both fun and important to me... it is something that could be high profile but it's not and that's why it hurts... I don't want to lose my vase that my mom made for only 10$.. I guess I got my hopes up... but I put the auction up and it will sell no matter what...

5. Msbabedoll

Msbabedoll Registered Member

I think I am just going to stick to regular auctions! Its easier on my mind! :)

6. wolvergambit

wolvergambit Registered Member

It's so true. I think we all have become addicted to finding the next big thing.

I guess the green ugly monster rears its head sometimes.

Anyways, I agree that sometimes its better not to put too much thought into it and just go with what idea is fun and expect the least and hope for the best.

Prime example is my Paula & Corey toast. I only listed it as a joke, following the Jennifer WIlbanks toast.

I was floored by all the toast appearing on Ebay, I did this as a lark, and listed 2 separate toast for fun.

It turned out to be the auction I was most proud of, because it was the funniest I had ever written. Not that it took me much time, I wrote it as I thought of it and took all of 10 minutes to get up and running.

Low and behold, if it didn't turn into a succesful auction adn sold to GoldenPalace!!

I've put much more effort into other auctions expecting them to be much more succesful.
    Sometimes the successful ones are there when you least expect them.

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

My goal for this site is not to be a site dedicated to talking just about HP Auctions. It is a site for online and offline auctioneers to discuss all aspects of auctioning. It just happens that HPA's are the big thing right now. :)

8. 1_ares_1

1_ares_1 Registered Member

There is so much truth to that! I did my first hubby box while in a fit of anger...took me about 15 minutes from rage to laughter putting it up! Then it took off! I didn't know what to think at first... but it was a real kick.

9. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

For a long time, I have been looking for something to move on eBay for a decent markup that I could consistantly do. I would be happy with 20-30% of $50, more profit for less expensive items.
    I searched every dropshipper that I could find and realized that that wouldn't work. Ebay is saturated with dropshippers as it is.
    Then I tried buying items in wholesale. Most of the companies that wholesale have eBay departments; and again, its hard to find something original to sell that isn't already being done by 50 people. I think wholesaling would work if you bought directly from the manufacturer oversees. Alibaba.com is a good site to find goods, but be prepared to pay $5000+ for a container.
    I have done items that I create myself and have had some good luck with that. I also have done the yard sale and storage auction thing.

My question: Has anyone found a good way to get a steady supply of product that can be moved on eBay?

10. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Glad to hear that because my fairies are going to be flying in real soon! :hah:

And I also agree with you Barbara, my best auctions have been the ones with the least thought put into them!