• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Alright, time for a self-initiated intervention

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
carebear said:
Are you sure? Cause do you remember this? ".....I may not be an expert of picking up people's signals, but based on some of the things you've said to me as of late, I'm beginning to think that you're looking for a reason to dislike me or pick a fight with me. I just can't really put my finger on it...." I really think you said this cause you dislike me.
Yeah... that was my poor and ill-timed attempt at a joke. A joke mixed with serious concern of course. Not the best thing to do but... oh well moving on....

I did not say that. "Assumtion is the mother of all fuck ups."
Good one. :lol: Never heard that one before. Where did that come from?

And what gives you the right to assume things on me, but when it comes to you it's a big no no?
Yes I agree, it was a little bit assuming. But then again there's a thin line between an assumption and a guess. I knew I was just guessing (based on what you said), but I suppose that I didn't make it clear enough.

I didn 't say that either. Where are you coming up with this crap?
I was just drawing out the implications of what it would mean if my guess was correct. I don't in any way take that as definate. I'm just trying to help you see why it might be harmful to buy into the idea that "you're only allowed to go on about stuff if you're a writer". But if it doesn't apply to you, then great.

So they put it into a book and get money for it. Why are you wasting your time here trying to change my mind [SARCASM]cause we all know that's not going to happen[/SARCASM] when you can put it in a book and make money off of it? Write a damn book. There are tons of people out there willing to pay money for someone to tell them what to think.
Well first of all, my primary concern in anything I do is not to make money. That just comes as a result if in fact I chose to do something "for money".

Second, I'm not trying to tell anybody what to think. I only know about those things that I have some kind of experience with, whether it's by being involved with it, studying it, observing it, thinking about it in detail, discussing it, etc. The only time I will really butt in and express a strong (and often controversial) opinion about something is if there's something about the situation that threatens to impose itself on somebody. If you look back on all the stuff that I've debated about on this board (like the anti-homosexual people, the "full"/wide screen issue and it's impacts on honest directors, religion, the inequal opportunity in tournaments, raising children by using consequences too instinctually), you will realize that in EVERY ONE of those topics there was something about the issue that imposes itself on someone and threatens people's equality. That's why when I see it, it's like a little bell that goes off in my head, and I come on with a strong opinion and go on and on about it.

See, publishers will put out anything.
Exactly, which is why the "myth of professionalism" is bogus.

carebear

Registered Member
Second, I'm not trying to tell anybody what to think. I only know about those things that I have some kind of experience with, whether it's by being involved with it, studying it, observing it, thinking about it in detail, discussing it, etc. The only time I will really butt in and express a strong (and often controversial) opinion about something is if there's something about the situation that threatens to impose itself on somebody. If you look back on all the stuff that I've debated about on this board (like the anti-homosexual people, the "full"/wide screen issue and it's impacts on honest directors, religion, the inequal opportunity in tournaments, raising children by using consequences too instinctually), you will realize that in EVERY ONE of those topics there was something about the issue that imposes itself on someone and threatens people's equality. That's why when I see it, it's like a little bell that goes off in my head, and I come on with a strong opinion and go on and on about it.

I know you have strong opinions about stuff, as do I. Everyone has an opinion about something; be it strong or "this is what i think, but my mind can easily be changed". I, as you are, have strong opinions on just about everything and no one can change our minds. That my friend, is a fact of life about us. And people just need to deal with it or stop talking to us. Debates are the best when each person believes strongly on an issue, but they are on totally opposite sides of the specrum. From the short time I have been at GC, I think you and I are going to be disagreeing on lots of different stuff. Everything I can think about that I believe in, you probably believe differently than I do.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
carebear said:
Everything I can think about that I believe in, you probably believe differently than I do.
:lol: Don't give yourself too much credit on that one! I'm sure there's a number of different things that we agree on (at least I really really desperately HOPE so)

for example, I'm sure I could just shout off a bunch of statements that you'd agree with me on. Let's see:

killing people is wrong, unless it's self defense and there's no other non-violent means to take away the threat to one's life

racism is wrong, and so are any types of hatred that generate equally hateful feelings

all opinions and belief systems are equal in speech and thought, but unequal in practice

it's wrong to cheat on one's spouse, though excpetions could be created if the couple agrees ahead of time to an "open marriage"

"open marriages" are totally gay! (not "gay" in the literal sense, but... you get the picture)

political parties are stupid and have no place in America

women and African Americans should have the right to vote, and people in the past were totally fucked up for keeping this right from them

crime and terrorism is wrong, but when the government organizations that are supposed to protect us from criminals and terrorists do the same things than them or worse, then they're just as bad

it's wrong for someone to lie or make commitments that they don't intend on making an honest effort to keep, and makes life less worth living everytime someone does this

supremacy is wrong in all it's forms. Everyone has the right to believe as they want so long as their beliefs do not happen to and do not necessarily come at the expense of another

just because someone "can" do something, it does not mean that they have the "right" to do something. If you don't believe me on this one, then you're either a hypocrite or a nazi- take your pick.

and finally, the mother of all of David Vega's opinions...

"In order to achieve the most acceptance possible, the only thing that must be unacceptable is unacceptance itself"

So there you go. There's a bunch of statements that I made off the top of my head that I really can't imagine anyone disagreeing with. Sure there are more, but I'm not going to think that hard right now.

carebear

Registered Member
Ok I'll give you those :lol: I agree with you vega.

carebear said:
Everything I can think about that I believe in, you probably believe differently than I do.

I said "everything I can think about" and I didn't think of those. :hah: [SARCASM]smart ass[/SARCASM] kidding :lol:

just because someone "can" do something, it does not mean that they have the "right" to do something.
I definitely agree with you on that one.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
ATTN:

It has recently come to my attention that some people are still bitter about my arguments over the arcade issues. Apparently, some people are still under the impression that I was only arguing to benefit myself even though I went to extreme lengths to make my case clear to people, did my absolute best to honestly state my concerns for making the tournaments more fair for everybody, and even went so far as to GIVE UP my spot in the tournament just to prove that there was nothing in it for myself.

Given all that has transpired, it makes absolutely NO SENSE WHATSOEVER that anyone here would still insist that I was only trying to benefit myself and take the few and indifferent opinions of those who opposed me as more important than my own opinions about my intentions. The way I see it, if there is anyone here who knows the most about MY intentions and MY motivations for the things I do, that person would be ME and no one else. So unless I am for some reason cooking up some unhanded master plot to lie to people and fool them for some selfish purpose, everything I've said here about my concern for others is RIGHT and everything else that people have said to me about how much I've been "whining" for myself is WRONG.

So if you have a problem with anything that happened or you still do not understand why I really do things, this would be the place to deal with it. That's why I started this "self-intervention" thread. It exists so that the people who attack me the most but understand me the least will have NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER to continue with such a misunderstanding and to continue to hold me responsible for them.

I have said it before and I will say it again:

It is not my responsibility to live up to everyone else's arbitrary expectations of me. Nor is it my responsibility to accept other people's interpretations of my actions as more important than my own. I do not accept misunderstanding people, and will do everything I can to prevent it. I also do not accept imposing anything on other people, and will do everything I can to fight against it. When people make accusations towards me that are based on misunderstandings, I will offer my honest explaination every single time, and when people attempt to impose on me any type or form of inequality, I will fight against it every single time. This holds true for me as well as any other individual who is affected by such injustices.

And if you have a problem with any of it, address it here. Otherwise, back off and stop complaining about my concerns.

Bill

Registered Member
Do you know, I quite agree with both of you. Open marriages are gay, not litterally, but you also get the point. lol

orangelightning

Registered Member
I like how you keep assuming that we think that you are doing this for your own benefit. I wouldn't have liked the rule suggestion if it was anyone else, either, whether or not they were in a victim-like state because of the lack of a rule.

GokuPD

Registered Member
Is it that ...serious?

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Ok, so the tournament issue is over. Orange, I apologize because I know you really meant what you said there and it obviously had nothing to do with your part in the tournament (because you weren't there). Unfortunately, the same could not be said for the other people I was arguing against.

But anyways, that issue is over, as is the whole "whining" issue from the other topic I suppose. It is now open for any new issues.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SmilinSilhouette Bathroom Wall 89
Merc Bathroom Wall 14
Smelnick Food & Beverage 8
Parasite Introductions 26
Incomple Introductions 11