• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Alomar & Blyleven, 2011 Hall of Famers

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Thank God...Blyleven is FINALLY a Hall of Famer...we won't have to hear him bitch this year lol

Alomar was a great choice as well. I'm sure they punished him last year for the spitting incident but made up for that this year by putting him in there.

Congratulations to Roberto Alomar and Bert Blyleven, who were voted to the Baseball Hall of Fame today by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

Alomar was one of the most complete players in baseball for 17 years, making spectacular plays at second base and adding value at the plate and on the bases. He played on the World Series Champion Blue Jays in 1992 and 1993 and also spent time on the Padres, Indians, Orioles, Mets, White Sox and Diamondbacks. Alomar won ten Gold Gloves and made 12 All-Star teams. He posted a career .300/.371/.443 line and retired with 210 home runs, 474 stolen bases, 504 doubles, 2724 hits and 1508 runs scored.

Blyleven first appeared on the Hall of Fame ballot in 1998 and has steadily gained support; he was just 0.8% short of the 75% threshold last year. He retired with a 3.31 ERA (118 ERA+) in 4970 innings. Blyleven ranks 14th all-time in innings and fifth all-time in strikeouts (3701). His 287 wins place him 27th in baseball history.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
fifth all-time in strikeouts (3701)
This stat, along with his ERA and longevity should have been enough to get him in sooner.

There's no question that Robbie deserved to be in. He was one of the best, if not the best player, on the Orioles in the 90's and he was always a solid all around player.

Bonds, Biggio, Clemens, Piazza, Schilling, and Sosa are all going to be eligible soon and I really don't know how many of them are going to make it on the first ballot. Schilling is the only lock to make it and I doubt that Biggio and Sosa would make it.

It's going to be hard not to put Clemens or Bonds in but with the way the voters are being hard on the steroid-era players is going to factor in greatly with these guys.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's about time Bert made it in, not surprised that he did make it in this year. It's a shame that Roberto Alomar had to wait one year, he should of definitely made it this year. It's funny how many people voted for him this time around. What surprises me is how low Bagwell percentage was, especially with someone with his numbers. But I think it all comes down to playing in the Steroid era.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well they didn't put in Rafael Palmeiro this year so they aren't going to put in Bonds or Clemens...if they do the writers are hyprocrites then.

Palmeiro is clearly a Hall of Famer on numbers alone. 3,000 hits, 500 home runs. But he got caught...so did those other 2. If one (Palmeiro) doesn't make it than none of them do. IMO.

Jeff Bagwell is the only firstbaseman in history to have 400 homers and 200 stolen bases. He should be in too...there's no steroid takl with him

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
With Roberto, it may have been the spitting, or it may have just been a case of him deserving the HoF but not deserving to be a first ballot HoFer (or both :lol:).

Congrats to both!

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Both of these guys are very deserving, it's good to see them both in the HOF.

I think Bagwell is a shoe in, Biggio is a tough call.

Based on not letting Palmeiro and McGwire in, I don't think Bonds and Clemens will be in either.

salsanchezfan

Registered Member
It's about time Bert gets in.

I felt that his not winning 300 games was why he wasn't inducted sooner, good to see the voters get it right this time.

As for Alomar, he was a shoo-in. Best second baseman I've ever seen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth Baseball 2
Millz Baseball 5
Babe_Ruth Baseball 10
Babe_Ruth Baseball 3